• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

skylsdale

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so I'm getting my 30 gal up and running. I picked up some LR from a local hobbyist yesterday, about 25 lbs. worth. They just purchased a used system which had been SEVERELY neglected by the owner, and offered some of the LR for a great price. I was pretty stoked putting it in my tank...but when I started to look at it closely I noticed that there was bryopsis all over each piece from the used system.

I've done a lot of reading over the last 24 hours, and every option seems pretty hit or miss. And even if I "beat" it this time...I've read that some people have had it resurface even a couple years later. I don't want to have to mess with this, but I would rather not just ditch the rock either!

So, my last resort thought is this: soak and scrub all the infected rock in a water/bleach solution. I'm thinking this should flat out annhilate every ounce of bryopsis on the rock. Granted, this will also whipe out all the pod and worm life residing within, but that can always be reintroduced. OTher than the bryopsis, there isn't anything noticeable on the rock anyway--it's pretty much bare. I'll basically end up with the same rock minus the bryopsis and some microfauna.

So what do you guys think? I assume rinsing it really well before I put it back into the tank is mandatory, but other than that, does anyone see any problems here or why this wouldn't work?

Dazureus

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a few patches of bryopsis pop up here and there but it sounds like the rock you got has more than I've dealt with. I ised Flame*Angel's method of bryopsis removal and it works really well. It's probably a step you could take before you have to nuke the whole rock.
Basically, you pull off as much as you can. Cut the pumps so there's not circulation, or place the rock in a currentless enviorment. Then slather on kalk-paste or pickling lime on all the affected areas. You can just spoon it on or use a disposable pipette to target spots. Let it sit for a few minutes while it kills the remaining algea and roots. Wash off with salt water or siphon off if it's still in the tank and that should fix your problem without killing all the life in the rock. Good water conditions will help ensure that it doesn't come back. Good luck.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled a rock out last month and scrubbed under HOT tap water with a brush. Seems to have worked just fine.

Jim

kparton

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still going through a bryopsis outbreak although it has been receding. I've made it through an awful diatom and hair algae phase followed by some cyanobacteria. i'm kind of depending ont he bryopsis to be the same way, not stick around for too very long. I have shortened the photoperiod and it is backing off rather quickly. I'm assuming it's still just part of the new tank algae cycle.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: