• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

reefann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We'll not sure if it's ready to be posted but I was bored so.
setup
2.5g tank
aquaclear 150 for circulation and added LR (have a azoo palm light to add caulpera to it just did not get the macro yet.)
25w heater
2 13w 50/50 pc's
inhabitants
1 Pseudochromis fridmani tank raised
candy cane coral. (purchased today)
3 rics (one outgrowing the tank fast. Got him a little larger than a quater about a month and a half ago)
1 green sea mat
1 blue leg hermit crab
various macros on LR
Hope the pics work
Tell me what you think
JJ

fish8.jpg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your tank, and the objects you use as size comparisons :wink:

Seems like your orchid dottyback wants to be the centerpiece of every picture. Consider yourself lucky, as some of us have much more shy fish.

reefann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,
yeah my dottyback was shy of the camera at first but he started to pop out when I would get close. I was going to epoxy the lego man (found him in an old box of mine.) to a piece of the LR, but with such small places to put frags I never did it. The main problem with this tank was, my mom wanted to be able to look at it when working at the desk but the back would have been to the stairs coming to the basement. So with a 6 inch wide tank you can view it from 3 sides.
JJ
BTW the reflector is made of Pepsi cans with the top and bottom cut out, sliced down the side then opened flat.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefann that is an awesome reef! I'm salivating at the thought of looking at a few data plots for that particular tank because you aren't using a skimmer. Judging by the coloring of the walls and the sandbed, it appears to have been set up for some time now. Heres what I'd like to know:

1. What you nitrate reading (ppm) is when tested 24hr after a 99% water change.

2. What the nitrate looks like in 5 days in the same water column after feeding the fish.

3. What you feed the fish and how much.

4. How often you change the water, and what params (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) you have tested for.

5. What you dose to maintain calcium/alk

It looks great and I want one.

:)

Brandon

kimichan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your aquascaping is truly original. while I prefer the "sandy bottom" look, your "rock bottom" look is actually kinda cool. it reminds me of that area of the ocean just before it drops into the deep water. i can't remember what it's called though. anyway, i think you did a good job.

reefann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW thanks Brandon, your nano's were what really got me into Nano-reefing. in the first place, along with Liquids 2.5 over at nr.com. As far as skimming goes I think that is totally unnecissary for such a small water volume. If I had a sump on it and a little DIY airlift skimmer I might have gone for it but I would rather do weekly WC's. These are necissary for small tanks anyway to replace calcium and other things. The tank has been setup for about 6 months. I never do full water changes on my tanks. I prefer to do a 20%-30% weekly water change.
As of today these are my params
Ammonia 0.0
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate about 4.0
Calcium 450ppm
PH 7.98-8.0 (I will bring this up a little more slowly.)
Temp 82
Specific Gravity 1.024 (using a swing arm thing did not buy a pinpoint monitor yet.)
With my weekly WC's my nitrate has never gone beyond 5.0
I feed the fish a vaired diet (normally what the other tanks are getting. This consists of Frozen Brine Shrimp, pellets, or flakes. When I feed him the frozen brine I dont give him a whole cube. I also try to do it over the rics so that if it falls without him seeing the ric gets dinner. I rarely use the flakes because I like how the pellets fall to the sand so the various pods will get dinner.
My dosing is not yet mastered for this tank. I am experimenting with taking one drop of Molybdenum,Strontium,Liquid Calcium,and Iodine. Then mixing them together and taking two drops with an eye dropper to the tank.
Thanks Kimichan as I said making a tank that size able to be seen from three sides was tuff, but It was worth the scaveging for the perfect LR pieces.
I prefer the "sandy bottom" look, your "rock bottom" look
I think you may have looked at the bottom of the tank wrong. There is sand there.
it reminds me of that area of the ocean just before it drops into the deep water
I have actually said that before I think its how the rock work slopes left to right. I think I got it all
Thanks for all the replys keep them coming
JJ
BTW one more pic
This ric could not be seen yesterday he had just released from his spot to get away from the bigger ric. I like him more were he is now.
fish20

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I might toss in a little advice, I think only one thing (the dosing) needs to be addressed to get it up to full par.

I noticed the candy coral was slightly withdrawn, showing the "ribs" a little around the polyp head. This can easily be caused by a bump from a fish or crab, but likely it is due to low levels of either calcium or alk or both, along with the available light. Ideally, caulastrea will balloon up so large that the individual polyp heads will touch each other and at no point can any of the ridges be seen. If it is normally that inflated, then just ignore.

But, if it stays a little withdrawn here's what I would suggest:

First of all, I wouldnt mix any dosers together with calcium at any time because of the potential precipitation of either or both of the agents. It is very likely that the corals have been surviving alone on the water change imports, with the dosing having little or no effect on the corals (in the amounts you've stated adding=drops) Ia of course is best added in very small amounts, maybe one drop a week in that setup of the common Ia additives. Ps, Id use iodide IMO.

I too was leary in dosing my picos for the first few months, but as time goes by I have seen all of my picos need at least 3-4 mLs every three days, about 10x the amount you are currently adding, of both a balanced calcium and alkalinity additive. If you buy the right additive (I use C-Balance, or EVS's Ionic) they will have the strontium etc mixed in correctly where you don't have to dose it separately. Your system will not have a notable demand for strontium until its packed full of LPS and SPS and even then its debatable>

I also didnt see you mention an alkalinity additive, and thats the one you need the most in my opinion. Calcium levels of any measure are useless without a corresponding amount of carbonate (alkalinity) for the corals to use. Also, these unfiltered, unskimmed picos need extra alkalinity to maintain ideal pH due to organic acids generated during animal/bacterial metabolism. A skimmed system will remove proteins and particles before they are metabolized in the system, resulting in less internal acid production. I think the candy coral is surviving but not plating at the current time, I would suggest getting one of these two part additives from
www.aquaticeco.com and using them twice weekly. If you get C-Balance, the one I use, your pico will need right at two capfulls of each additive weekly, with the calcium and alk liquids being dosed on alternate days and added in the morning just after lights "on".

The soft corals are going to look good no matter what, as the water change imports give them enough to run on. Your stonies, to actually grow upwards and sideways, will need alk support or they will just stay as-is and may eventually recede all the way. It will take time though, as the water changes are keeping the candy coral alive but not necessarily plating as fast as it could be. When the dosing is brought up, Id superglue or wedge that candy coral about midway up on the rocks---a little bright light will open it up as well.

Clearly your system is running great as is, but these added tweaks might be just what you are looking for. Good luck and post back when you can!

Brandon Mason

reefann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply Brandon,
I will be getting an alk test kit today. And if my store is not over priced compared to that site a gallon of C-balance. As I said when the photo was taken the coral was only in my tank for one day. It has since been moved up the tank and puffed out a little more. I hope to in a month cut out two or three of those rics and get some smaller frags in that side.
Thanks JJ

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I didnt catch that part, about the candy coral being a new specimen, I bet it will look nice when its fully acclimated. Also, I bought the 16 oz bottles of C Balance, not the gallon. These two last me almost four months at a total cost of about $16 I think. The gallon would last two years! I just gave them my check card # and paid for two day air--the total cost was about $25 which was a convenient deal

reefann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help Brandon. Dosing scared me mainly because I have little demand for Calcium with only one real stony coral. I bought the gallon of C-balance at a LFS for like 35.00. I have a 210 that can also be dosed with this additive. I think I will start with 3ml tommorow of the part B. Then the next day with 3ml of part A. With loyal end of week water changes does this sound good?
Thanks again Brandon
JJ
BTW anybody looking to sell some nice small frags let me know.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you nitrate reading (ppm) is when tested 24hr after a 99% water change.

99% water change? I know it's a nano and all, but wouldn't that be harmful?

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be a little stressful Hwarang you're right. I said that becuase it would be neat to see what his nitrate reserves are, from all the nooks and crannies in the rock and sand, not those that are found in the water column. I use 100% changes on my pico reefs so I can go longer in between changes, been doing this since they were set up. Now I do take time to match the important parameters perfectly, and I let the water sit for awhile to meet CO2 equilibrium (but not always, sometimes it only sits for an hour)

My SPS do slime a bit each time, but this seems to be a stress they are used to as it has not inhibited the growth or caused polyps to remain retracted very long after the full change. I wonder if the corals get used to it, or if its only a slight stressor (provided the change water matches sg, temp, pH) that they can tough it out. ? I suppose his fish would be a little more stressed by this full water change than the corals...but surely it wouldnt be lethal.

Its neat you bought the gallon of parts A and B. I would be more concerned with the alkalinity supp't (and pH balance) that we get from part B, and yes I think your dedicated water changes would keep up the calcium nicely. Still, Id add it though as your coralline will take off!

reefann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also add the part A just I figured it would be good to do B today and A tommorow. Does the 3ML sound sufficient or would you reccomend more? I cant wait to get the lighting squared away on my "big nano reef" so I can remove those shrooms and put some better looking smaller frags. I will do a large WC soon but only probably 40-50% and do a N03 reading and let you know.
JJ
BTW I would like to add a monti frag or a Acropora frag I think the light and movement would be fine (if place high in the tank), you see any potential problems.Also grow out will not be a problem because soon I will have 3 400w's on my 210

sstephen

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon,

You mentioned 100% water changes. Are you mainly keeping corals and other inverts from the intertidal regions of a reef or is it mainly a garden reef setup? That seems a little harsh on the inverts (although it's hard to argue with your success). Do you have any soft corals as well (I think I remember you mentioning a pulsing xenia in the pico reef)? Also, do you measure the dissolved oxygen in your nano tanks?

Scott

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, to be honest its all just done by feel. Thats the only way Ive ever done them, just by watching the polyp expansion cycles and judging ca/alk by the speed and color of the deposition of coralline.

One of the key factors in controlling water parameters inside these picos is strong alk support. Without it, over time the corals will recede in the sub-gallon reef. We have to account for binding of carbonate alkalinity from a host of factors, such as CO2 and acids formed by bacterial and animal metabolism. This is less pronounced in 5+ gallon reefs thanks to dilution.<-----(refers to 5g as dilution)

Not to mention the stores bound up in calcium carbonate, the sign of a healthy stick forest! Mine are garden reefs, because I keep good notes on which specimens fare the best. I purposely buy different corals to see how they interact, how they plate, how the feed. Sure, a brand new euphyllia won't come out for a few days but in time I watch them sensitize in some natural way eventually all fully expanded and many directly touching.

The oxygen balance was mainly guesswork. I was not concerned about oxygen toxicity when generated from a natural source, and at 12% total volume predictably it was safe. The largest oxygen consumer in the Mini75 is a tiny 1/2" boxer crab, lybia tesselata. The system creates little demand for oxygen and yields relatively low nitrogenous compounds.

I have not spent much time researching the geography of various coral, I just experiment with what the LFS has and take notes. They all get used to the water changes and display amazing adaptability--I have always mixed soft corals, SPS and LPS with no trouble. Somehow they are forced to sensitize in the pico reef---> no one would believe me without the pics!

reefann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one problem I can say with this tank is that it is cheaply made. In the one corner water drips very slowly out from under the black trim. I will get some aquarium silicon to fix this soon. Currently I just use it as gradual water changes :roll:
Heres a pic of my not very nano in progress.
210gallon.jpg

JJ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: