• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

kimichan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 maxi jet 1200's pumping from the fuge into the back of my drilled eclipse 12. I had backflow devices, but the maxi jet would not pump through them. So, I took them off and if the electricity goes out the fuge will overflow. So, my solution is this: 1. Find a proper backflow device that will be compatable with a maxi jet 1200 and 1/2 inch tubing or 2. Get a double sized fuge in which case I would not make a mess on the floor, but the display tank will still empty out 1/2 way. I don't want my display tank to empty. So please help me. (There's no way around the fuge being below the tank. So please don't suggest otherwise.) Thanks!
--daniel deisenroth

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raise the level of the return outlet in your tank. You'll only siphon as much water thats above your return outlet from your main tank into your fuge should the power go out. I've had much experience with this issue... I've had my fuge (which is setup up below my tank too) overflow on me numerous times. There's also a check valve available from Drs. Foster and Smith or premium aquatics that has solved that issue for me (until it gets plugged up so I've heard). I could take some pics of it later if you want to take a look at it. HTH.

-AM-

Bleeding Blue

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I would build a little overflow box to put in front of the bulkhead fitting. Even easier (although a lot louder) would be to add a stand pipe.

M

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike,
I don't think his problem is with the water thats supposed to flow from the main tank to his fuge... its with the return line from the fuge to the main tank. If your return line is submerged in the main tank (I imagine it is... or else you'll have water splashing everywhere and major salt creep) then the water being pushed up the return line falls back down into the fuge creating a back siphon from the main tank to the fuge when the power goes out. Is this the scenario you're worried about Kmichan?

-AM-

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daniel,
There's no way you can solve it with backflow devices or check valves. These will inevitably fail due to algae, feather duster, etc. growth. It may take a year, but they get clogged eventually.

Bleeding Blue

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Couldn't you just lower the water level in the sump. If worse came to worse, I think I would just get a big rubbermade container, put my current sump inside it as a a fuge, and go on my merrry way.

M

kimichan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my last ditch effort mike. I just looked at all your ideas for the first time today, and I had actually thought about all of them. The thing is, I'm a pretty low-stress guy because I try to avoid stressful situations. However, this one pissed me off to no avail. First the backflow didn't work, then my bulkheads wouldn't thread on. (I spent 2 hours on one of them, imagine that) then they leaked. I was furious. All of this culminated with the shorting out of my ballast, at which point I said some obscenities I will not repeat. Nevertheless, my new plan, albeit not a a "reefs.org" plan, is this: I have 2 holes drilled into my tank with 2 bulkheads and half-inch line coming out. I just hooked in the maxijet 1200 and wham, circulation without a powerhead inside the tank. This is verysimilar to Mutalipussy's idea, but he used rigid pvc, while I just used pipe clamps...makes it easier to take down. Then, I'm going to use the marineland 3-stage filtration I already gutted out of the system. I'm also going to use the eclipse 12 light, along with another 2x28 kit, if Hellolights will refund my money or replace the ballast that shorted. If not, I'll have to figure something else out. I know the eclipse filtration will not be good for pods and all, but it should clean the water well as long as I change the filter often.

kimichan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ONE MORE THING: THE MANDARIN...It survived and flourished. It ate Brine shrimp (frozen), flake food, and pods. It lived until yesterday when all the water came through the seals of my overflow box and flooded my apartment and he was in the overflow box and I shut off the pumps and found him dead in the morning. I was mortally pissed at that point. He was the reason I spent like $500 on all this new crap and then it was the new crap that killed him. Lessons in life are hard learned, my friends. By the way, a stray kitten befriended me and his name is now Mousey. I put a bell around his neck and he follows me everywhere. Sometimes he sits on my shoulder and I just walk around with him. I guess things are not always as bad as they seem. And yes I'm heterosexual.

Rainman

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You crazy kids and your nanos. Stand pipes are by far the easiest method of all time, especially the durso standpipe. It's silent and will not fail (touch wood).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: