• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Since my 120 is fairly well stocked its time to start dreaming about something else, and I think a nano might be fiscally a bit more responsible than a 300!

Every tank I've ever setup has used a sump, but I see very few nano people use them. The tank would be drilled anyway, so why not?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna stick a sump on my next nano. I don't see why not either except that sometimes it's hard to place a sump where nanos are kept (e.g. desk). Or maybe some nano-ers think all that extra volume of water is cheating ;)

Bleeding Blue

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a sump on my six gallon nano. The main reason I chose to use a sump is that I wanted a DSB, but I thought it would take up too much space in the display tank. I am happy with the result.

Mike

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it. I wish I did. right now, I have a backpack on my 15 high. That's where I hide my heater, ph probe, and ground probe. If I had a sump it would be INSIDE a cabinet and I wouldn't have to hear my skimmer all the time. Something I didn't notice untill I shut it off to clean the tank last night. What a difference. When I set up my new tank, I am DEFINATELY having a sump.

B

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump/Fuge is great for a nano. Since your limited in space inside the tank, it makes for the perfect place to stick all the unsightly equipment. It also makes for a great place for growing macro's and growing pods. Just be careful how big you make it or you won't technically be able to call it a nano! Where are you going to keep your nano? If you aren't looking for the challenge of keeping your corals in a small volume of water, plumb it up to your 120.

I think a 300 would be much more fun though...

-AM-

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be for my office and I could put the sump in the cabinet. I figure a classic AGA minibow 7 with maybe a 5 g sump....

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And, when a sump can be added it makes the best place to make dosings, as ions can disperse and go into solution without burning or stressing resident corals that usually have to put up with this in the main system. If you can sump, go for it!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting your refugium at night can have a much more dramatic effect on your system stability in a nano, and you can't do one w/o a sump. I think they're almost necessary.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: