• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

How deep is yours?

• 2-2.9 inches

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3-3.9 inches

• 4-4.9 inches

• Total voters

anemonelover

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to share with everyone that I'm excited, as I'm setting up a 10 gal nano right now. And obviously, I just can't hide it.

Bad joke.

So I was buying live sand the other day when it occured to me I hadn't put much thought into how deep I was going to make it. I know the deeper is better, blah blah blah... I just want to know how deep your sand bed is.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! we are glad to hear of your new setup. Post us some pics when you get a chance, as we'd like to see its progress as it evolves and grows.

Some points to consider in sand-bedding nano aquariums:

Sand beds in nano aquariums are not used in all the same ways they are in standard tanks, if you are hoping for any useful nitrate reduction it won't come from even a 5-6 inch bed in a 10 gallon. I say this because of size/volume restrictions in these small aquaria, and the ease at which water and oxygen permeate the bed in these smaller volumes. (oxygen=no nitrate reduction)

I do believe there are ways of obstructing oxygen and water flow through a nano sandbed to get some N-Reducing use out of it, but in all practicality we shouldnt rely on a nano's sandbed to do anything other than house interesting creatures. My sandbeds average 2-4 inches depending on the height of my container...I also like the way a sandbed looks if its proportioned to the tank size.

Sand beds can also crash an aged system if they aren't maintained well, and by this I mean not overfed and also keeping the correct # of faunal animals in the bed to munch on particles that find their way down. If you have too much food input and too few critters to process it, a sandbed can easily and quickly become a leaking mess of ammonia and nitrate. In most scenarios, the nano is better without a sandbed. This allows for the most efficient cleaning of a nano but also removes worms and assorted pods you would have otherwise.

In short, if used for the right reasons a nano sandbed is pleasing and can last indefinately. But, in a new tank or in an improperly designed/maintained nano, a sandbed can be a source of trouble if not cared for correctly. Im just ranting, heres my two cents for the day!

Brandon M.

anemonelover

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
>Im just ranting, heres my two cents for the day!

Two cents to add to my 401k jar and I couldn't agree more. I will definately be posting pictures once there is something worth posting :)

Come one everybody, I see the page views! Contrizzy yo' dizzy foshizzle mah nizzle! (I mean... vote. Please. 8O )

reefann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2.5 has a half inch sand bed. I agree with brandon DSB's in a nano are mainly usless. Note the word MAINLY some have made them work. Or so it seems
JJ
BTW I think the huge ones look kind of dumb to.

anemonelover

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefann":2usb1s09 said:
BTW I think the huge ones look kind of dumb to.

Yes, the do look weird in such a little tank, don't they. I always think of it as less room for the fishies to swim in, and less room for my compulsive spending habits.

Thanks for your thoughts!

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt... you still have that 7" sandbed in your nano? :lol:

IMO, sandbeds are a great place for a little extra faunal diversity.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is around 4.5", in a 12" tall tank :D :D :D

It actually made aquascaping easier in my tank, because everything is closer to the light. I need a DSB for my shrimp goby as well, regardless of whether it reduces NO3, etc. I change water often enough that I don't really worry about NO3 anyway. I also like the incredible diversity of life in there....crustaceans, spaghetti worms, bristleworms, snails, etc.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: