• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

skylsdale

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back from Wal-Mart, and decided to stroll through the lighting isle to see if there was anything that could work for a retro. I was shocked when I noticed a 175W mercury vapor halide replacement bulb on the shelf...for $8. I looked around and found the outdoor lighting system it belongs to (made by Brinks) and figured the system was going to be quite a bit...but was actually $22.

Now, I'm not electrical guru or lighting expert, but aren't Iwasakis mercury vapor? I couldn't find a kelvin rating anywhere on the packaging or bulb so I'm not sure what kind of spectrum this thing runs. I'm sure it gets pretty hot--which is why the warning said to only install outdoors--but how cool would it be to have this thing mounted on the wall above a nano, a cheap and intense source of light?

I did a search on google and Wal-Mart's website, but I can't find this system anywhere. I didn't buy it, as I wasn't sure if it would actually be useable or not. What do you guys think? How possible is it?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iwasakis are NOT MV, but can be run by a MV ballast. It makes the light appear a bit bluer, or so I've read, but otherwise they work just fine.

I would try contacting the manufacturer and see if they can tell you the Kelvin rating of the bulb. I paid around $55 for a DIY MV ballast from Advanced Technologies through www.graybar.com . $22 seems awfully cheap, I say go for it if it's 5000K or higher.

skylsdale

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iwasakis are NOT MV, but can be run by a MV ballast.

That's right. I wasn't sure if it was the bulb or ballast.

I'm going to try and find out some more info, but even at Brinks website I couldn't find this lamp. I'll see what I can dig up and pass on the info if it's worth sharing.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: