• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Ween

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a new 7G Minibow (yes, like everyone else). I have had the tank + sterile bag sand running for about 3 weeks, live rock and 1/2lb live seed sand running since August 20th. The past 2 days have noticed a significant beginning to an algea bloom. My question is, how far along does this mean I am in the cycling process? Is this a good sign or a bad sign? I also need to know what critters I need to get for a tank clean up crew (and is this a good time to get them). I would prefer not to use hermit crabs because I do not want to have to keep up with buying them shells. All comments welcome.

Stephen

Chronicles

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test your water and tell us what your readings are, that will tell you a lot and where to go from.

oh and welcome!!

Ween

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should I test for?

I dont want to waste time testing for everything if there are only a few things I need to test for.

bdelaney

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does the algae look like? Is it a slime algae or a turf algae?
Your tank is probably right on schedule. The algae is a normal part of the cycle. Slime algae (actually cyanobacteria) can usually be siphoned off during a water change.

Ideally you'd want to test ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. If both ammonia and nitrites are zero, and nitrates are below around 20 ppm, then it's probably safe to add some snails. Turbo snails are a good choice, and they're easy to find.

Ween

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I measured the water and the kit shows the following readings:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0.75
Nitrate: 23

shalegac

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reefs.org!
Are you using RO/DI water? What lights are you using, and how long are you running them? It more than likely is probably part of the cycling process. You may just need to give it time. Good luck and keep us informed.
Shaun Legacy

Ween

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using RO/DI water I get from walmart at their filling station. The lights i'm using is a CustomSeaLife 32W retrofit which is a 10,000k daylight + ultra actinic in one. The algea btw looks like fuzz. Theres also some green algea starting to grow (like very miniature plants), and some pink alea (both light and dark pink).

bdelaney

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what you describe, it looks as if your tank is doing fine. You're nearing the tail end of the cycle, and the nitrites should reach zero pretty soon. The pink algae is coralline algae, and it's a good sign that the system is capable of calcification. I'd wait until nitrites are zero and nitrates stabilize before adding any critters.

Ween

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to the guys at jeff's exotic fish. They told me it was ok to go ahead with 5 astrea's, 5 blue hermits, 1 brittle star, and 1 cleaner shrimp.
They should be here tomorrow. I also ordered a minijet 404.

I have some pictures to show soon.

Is there anything else I might want to do?

shalegac

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to pick up a good book. You can find some in the library section of reefs.org. They helped me alot.
Shaun Legacy

Ween

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a picture of my tank.

Attachments

• p9040058.jpg
    p9040058.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,503

Ween

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a bad sign that all my snails look like they are trying to get out of the tank? Could the water not be to their liking?

alexmsw

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you get some extra hermit shells. LFS and Craft stores sell them. You can keep them behind your rocks out of site so your snails don't end up as hermit food :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: