• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

investigator1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is about the time of month I post my tank update. This month I included a 4 month progression. My tank actually started in DEC 02 but I got my camera in April.

Attachments

• reefrightshot.jpg
    reefrightshot.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,170
  • reeffrontshot.jpg
    reeffrontshot.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 1,176
  • reef farshot.jpg
    reef farshot.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,182

investigator1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pictures are a bit dark this time sorry.

Attachments

• 4 month progression.jpg
    4 month progression.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 1,168
  • reefleftshot.jpg
    reefleftshot.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,169

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Investigator Ive always thought you have a good knack for aquascaping in the Nano reef. How's your long term fare with those sun polyps? Id like to try some one day but wasnt sure how regularly they feed and thrive in a Nano tank.

Brandon M.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon - sun polyps are pretty easy IME. I keep them in my 75 and feed them several times a week with either fritz invert banquet, mysis, silversides and occasionally I will take the colony out and put it in a container with some live brine shrimp and let them eat their fill. New polyps sprout up incredibly fast - one polyp I've been directly feeding silversides has split into about 5 over the past 6 weeks.

My next nano project will be a low light nano comprising of tubastrea, maybe a chili coral and a few sponges.

Invetigator - Gorgeous tank - keep that cyano in check :)

Apophis924

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Investigator Am i to understand that Sun Pylps are not photosynthetic and requrie feeding beyond the usual plankton and droppings in a tank? and if so can they still grow in a high light enviroment. I think their color would look great in an SPS tank.

Bleeding Blue

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
investigator1,

The tank looks great. Maybe you should post the pics of your feeding device for those who have not seen it. I was looking for the thread, but I couldn't find it. Also, I love your daily photos in the photo forum. Keep up the gook work.

Mike

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
investigator,
It looks like that fungia has grown considerably, and the xenia too (did you prune it back in that most recent shot?)

Tubastraea is completely aposymbiotic and relies solely on prey capture for food. From what I've heard they do just fine in bright light though. How do they get along with other corals? Do they send out sweepers?

investigator1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Below is the feeding device I made for only 2 bucks.

2) Did you prune it (Xenia) back in that most recent shot?

- Yes, It was shadowing my Galaxy coral. The little tiny base specs that
were left on the rock are now approximately 10 xenia babies.

3) How do they (Sun Coral) get along with other corals?

-If anything they are victims of other corals. They even get damaged from the sting of a mushroom!

4) Do they (Sun Coral) send out sweepers?

-Nope, what you see is what you get.

Attachments

• sun coral feeding device.jpg
    sun coral feeding device.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,112
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thanks for the info. I consider mushrooms to be fairly coral aggressive. They've stung my brain coral in the past. The one that I have in my nano has killed a small section of one of my Montipora colonies as well. It's OK to lose one branch, but if the shroom splits it will have to go.

investigator1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would normally find it and give it to you but........

I do not think that the Alife tank is something to recommend. Believe me from experience. Buy a via aqua instead.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: