• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

apparent

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm lookin to set up a nano tank I'm thinkin perhaps the 7g bow. I hear a lot about the eclipse systems but I'm not sure about them, anyone tell me how they are? I don't really want to spend that much money on it since I already got a bigger tank. Just want something to set on a dresser next to the bed

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Apparent and Welcome to our Forum! This is an article I keep in favorites for quick reference...beginner or not its a great guide to setting up a nano. Very detailed and a quick-study with answers about deep sand beds, live rock usage etc.

http://www.reefs.org/library/newbieguide.htm

I like a bare-bones setup for these sized reefs. Many combinations exist that will work equally well, but I think you'll find most equipment we use in a nano reef will be dictated by the number of fish included. Larger anenomes count as one or more fish due to their feeding requirements... you can use a skimmer which aerates and removes waste nicely or you can go without and stock a little heavier with live rock. This is the approach I use, and I also like the aquscaping that comes with it. More-than-usual live rock will be a perfect stand-alone filter in a skimmerless reef tank. In your particular size, it could easily hold 2-3 small fish unskimmed with bi-monthly water changes. Small fish that is, and nice support of alkalinity either through light kalk drips or two part additives.

We are also enjoying a boom on this particular board where people are using built in refugiums to handle fish waste. They get to have the spectacle of a marine plant forest, along with the heavy nutrient removal that makes for little maintenance.

Any one of these ways will work, we all like to see pics when you have them.

Brandon[/i]

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey apparent! I'll trade you my 7 gal bowfront and the 2x32w pc setup for that 72 gal you got!

Welcome to the nano world. There's lots of info here!

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a bigger tank already, you have a great source of water as well. When you do a water change on your larger tank, use the discarded water for your nano. All you really need is a powerhead, a heater, lights, and some LR, nothing fancy if you want to keep it cheap. Use a couple chunks of LR from your bigger tank as filtration, and then you won't have to worry about dieoff on your LR. If you want corals, retrofit a light strip with a couple PCs. I use www.ahsupply.com for lights, but there are several places to buy them.

apparent

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha bingo that sounds like a rather unfair trade don't ya think :eek: But if your selling your 2 x32w pc's I will buy them from you when I get my tank..and how convenient that your in brooklyn I'm in staten island..I could save on the shippin costs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: