• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Hez

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below are my tanks Specs:

-26 Bow Front (running one month now)
-45 lbs Live Rock
-20 lbs Live Sand mixed with 20 lbs Sand. About 3in Depth
-Sea Clone Protein Skimmer
-Power Head
-Fluval 204 Filter
-JBJ Power Compacts (130 Watts of Light). 10-12 Hrs per day.
-Only RO/DI Water used.
-Ammonia=0, Nitrite=0, Ph=8.2 and 76 Degrees
-Nitrates=15ppm

All Inhabitants are healthy for now, and include:
2 Clowns, 1 Six Line Wrasse
Macro Algae
Various Snails, Crabs and Two Peppermint Shrimp.

The tank has been up and running for about two months. Considering the amount of Live Rock & Sand do you think the Fluval is still needed? I have Bio Balls in the Fluval, but I have heard these are just Nitrate Factories. If I remove the Bio Balls, I would still like to keep in some carbon. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Hez

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely don't need the Fluval. The LR/LS is adequate to filter your water. I keep one handy to clean the water after I stir up detritus on my larger tank for an hour or so, but then remove it. I'd remove the bioballs and any sponges. Carbon is debatable, but I only use it once a month for a couple days. The fluval IS increasing your water circulation, so you might leave it in just for that.

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hez,
How often and how much do you change your water? Basically, as Matt said, they're only good for providing circulation and removing large particles from the water. They really don't do much for the water "quality" though if you've got live rock in your tank. In fact, if you don't clean it often, it does more harm than good (IMO). They do make for a nice place to put carbon though.HTH.

-AM-

shalegac

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could replace the bio balls with LR and use like they said before use it for added circulation. Carbon is always a great debate. I personaly use it 24/7/365. I haven't had any problems but to each their own.

Hez

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice.

One last question. Wouldn't adding LR to the Fluval be the same as keeping the the Bio materail?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: