• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

kimichan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have now cancelled 2 orders from ah supply. One was in the mail already, so i'll just have to return it. Bleeding Blue, goofy as he may be, saved my ass on a number of occasions. First, I ordered the two 13's... Mike said not enough. :cry: Then I ordered a 55...Mike said too much. 8O Finally, I ordered 2 28's...Mike said it was just right. 8) Now to the more important things. First of all, I am taking a standard 10 gallon tank, and dividing it via plexy glass such that 60% of the water is in the front of the tank, and 40% is in the back. I will cut little fingers on the top right of this plexy glass, and I will have a powerhead blowing out of the left hand side. I will cut fingers on both sides though, so that in the future, if I want a wavemaker, it won't be an issue. I would like to have a protein skimmer in the refugium too: an airstone blowing bubbles up some 2" PVC pipe with an upside-down funnel apparatus on top so that protein bubbles will bubble into a little catcherthingamabobber. Here's the question though: should I have, rather, is it necessary to have a think of Calcium water, or can I just add that as I go. In Rob Toonen's tank, we have this huge thing of calc water rigged onto a float valve which empties into the sump. I was thinking, maybe...as I see the water go down, I could just add the stuff myself. It wouldn't be too hard to rig one myself, it just won't look good. I kinda wanted a reef that only needed the 10 gallon tank.

kimichan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, can I just go to the beach to get the sand for my refugium. Now that I bought those lights, I can only afford to live in a cardboard box...I can't afford food either, so I think I only have about 40 days to live. Luckily this reef seems to be coming together. I should have water in it within the next month. That'll leave me about ten days to enjoy my reef before I die of starvation.

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have trouble gluing the plexiglass divider on the inside of your glass tank. I've never tried this myself, but its common advice on these boards that trying to glue plexiglass to glass doesn't form a strong bond. But with only a 10g you may be able to do it.
About your calcium water question, you'll probably want to figure that out after you've got your tank up and running... you're definetely not going to need to dose calcium for at least the first month while your system is settling in. You'll probably want to dose depending on your evaporation rate... In my nano, I lose aobut 6-8 cups of water a day... so I dose manually so I can better control the amount I'm dosing.

-AM-

Bleeding Blue

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to do anything. It depends on what you want to keep and how often you want to change the water. Softies use less calcium than other stuff. Although, all we have is softies in the lobby tank, and we top off with full strengh kalkwasser. Other things that calcify like bivalves, snails and crabs also appriciate the calcium. Kalkwasser also helps by adding buffer to the tank, which helps with ph stability. That being said, there is no right way to add kalkwasser. Rob Toonen used to add 1000 ml or so of weak limewater to his nano through an airline whenever he remembered. I use a nurse type system. The tank downstairs uses a float valvue. I am sure Brandon would say to screw all this top-off crap. Seal the darn thing and add trace elements. You can also replace trace elements by making sure that you keep up with water changes. The reason I like the system I use is because I don't have to remember anything. If I see the topoff container empty, I fill it. You can do it however works best for you.

Mike

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to mention that the beach sand idea might not be so good. Coldwater animals exposed to tropical temps might equal a lot of die-off. Better to seed it with some sand from the big reef tank. Actually, since I'm breaking down my 30 gallon in the near future you could have a substantial amount of mine too.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the divider in your tank will be fine. Since both sides will be filled with water, there will be equal pressure. There's only a problem if the pressure is unequal.

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: