• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

kimichan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. I just got a 10 gallon tank and wanted to start a nano. I was thinking of partitioning off the back portion of the tank with some plexi glass and having some sand and macroalgae back there with a powerhead blowing water from this section to the main reef section. Water would then flow throuth little teeth in the top of the partitioner into the back section where the waste would be filtered by bacteria. I also wanted to do all of this with between 2 and 4 13 watt bulbs. Then, I wanted to rig a little protein skimmer with an air stone and some pvc pipe. I wanted to have some fish and some anemones, and some mushroom polyps. I have a good idea what I want to do, but i'm not sure if the lighting will be enough. What do you suggest?

Bleeding Blue

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daniel,

I am glad you decided to look at this websight. I think that the people here will have some good advice, be able to provide good examples, and steer you in the correct direction.

For you guys here at reefs.org, this is the guy who currently takes care of the tank that Rob Toonen set up here at UCD. Here are some old pictures of the tank.

http://biogeek.ucdavis.edu/UCD/page2.html

This is the same tank that Wombat has posted pictures of royal grammas, and carpet anemone, (which is in some of those pictures.) Daniel does a great job, and wants to start a nano of his own. He asked me for advice, and I sent him to the best place I knew.

Also, I don't think he meant anemones. I think he wants to keep soft corals, and maybe try an easy lps (if there is such a thing.) He is a student (and I sure don't pay him), so he is on a little bit of a budget.

Sorry if I stepped on your toes by relaying this info Daniel, but I thought it would be good to give the fellows some background. :D

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy LPS? Probably a bubble coral, Plerogyra sinuosa. Beautiful and tolerant of the lighting you have. It doesn't require high flow either. It will accept large chunks of shrimp, squid, or fish just like an anemone. All the Euphyllia species (Frogspawn, Torch, Grape, Hammer, etc.) are fairly hardy as well. All LPS require some addition of Calcium, and a high alkalinity and pH to thrive. All the softies in the lobby tank would be fine in there too. You may want to research the compatibility of LPS corals with the species of soft corals we have down there. Typically softies and stonies don't mix well in such close proximity (brandon 429 will probably disagree with me here, but I think it's true in general), and it's easier to stick with an exclusively softie or stonie tank.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I agree in general that is a very safe way to stock, and provides the lowest long-term risk of chemical warfare. In time you'll gain a feel for this battleground, and in the mean time this seems like a good start. Wombat wouldnt you agree though to not skimp on the lighting>>>it will be the first thing you get unpleased with so I think a nice PC hookup from the guys is just what you need Daniel. Judging by the tank you take care of, you'll have no trouble with a 10 galloner.

How can one go wrong with a decent $80 pc setup, about 10 pounds of LR, good circ, light initial bioloading and a keen hand at aquarium sterility> all of which you have.

Blue that is sooooo cool that you would recommend him here to RDO for information! I do it too with people at work and have had some log on to see what's up/ Reefs dot org in my opinion has the most sound advice you can get on captive reefs from any current source on the internet.

brandon429

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wombat wouldnt you agree though to not skimp on the lighting>>>it will be the first thing you get unpleased with so I think a nice PC hookup from the guys is just what you need Daniel
Definitely. I'd go with a 32W retro kit rather than 13W. It will end up costing about the same as 4-13W bulbs and ballasts anyway. Maybe a 10K and actinic bulb?...

Brandon can you recommend a good 32 or 36W PC setup and where to find?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: