• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Jaynie1028

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
What does everyones electric bill run for ONE month? I just bought my house and got our First month bill and it was under 200.00. Got our second Months bill and its 900.00. My house is 2100 square feet. 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 2 living rooms, 2 kitchens with 4 people living in the house. Central A/c. One 45 gallon fish tank One 14 gallon fish tank and One 29 gallon fish tank. All compact lights. Never leave the lights on in the house. Like to just have the fish tank lights on and the TV on at night. No lights.

Is there something wrong with this bill? Or does this sound about right?

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
damn thats a big change, but theres a thread on this already..it was started on monday i think.

Jaynie1028

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I have to wait until Tuesday to call them. But it is Driving me nuts. I want to know if anyone else is in the same boat as me. Maybe its because of the A/c. I have left it on 70 to 74 degrees all summer. Maybe thats the reason. I dont have a pool or a pond or a hot tub or even outside lights. Things just dont make sense to me but maybe its just the A/C.

Deep Dive Coral

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
CFirst one could of been an estimate. Second could pf been an actual reading and that made up the difference. I work for coned in the bronx so it happens all the time. It sucks. But I would definately call becuase thats abig jump.... Alot more then usual. Just my 2 cents.

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Sounds like the first was a partial or estimate, you didn't say but do you have electric stove(s)/clothes dryer. Hair driers are electric hogs as well. Check the bill but on page 2 you should see if the usage was an estimate or actual. Unfortunately $1,100 for 2 months doesn't sound that off, this summer been hot and keeping the AC 74 and under could explain it.

bizzarro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does everyones electric bill run for ONE month? I just bought my house and got our First month bill and it was under 200.00. Got our second Months bill and its 900.00. My house is 2100 square feet. 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 2 living rooms, 2 kitchens with 4 people living in the house. Central A/c. One 45 gallon fish tank One 14 gallon fish tank and One 29 gallon fish tank. All compact lights. Never leave the lights on in the house. Like to just have the fish tank lights on and the TV on at night. No lights.

Is there something wrong with this bill? Or does this sound about right?

The biggest drain is the central air unit. Keeping it at 70-74 will cost you. I keep mine at 78 95% of the time and if anything a few days was a few degrees below that. Keeping it at 78.

Do you have multiple zones and central air units? The more sq footage the longer it will take to cool off the house. Do you notice if the A/C is always on?

I also have a pool and run a 1.5 HP pump for 5-6 hours and at most my bill is $175 for electric only. After and before summer, the electric usage is at least $100 cheaper but then again PSEG rates are cheaper.

Well, you'll know once you get the next month's bill since it seems like weather is already cooling down.

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Unfortunately Jaynie, it is entire possible it is correct.
We go a little crazy with the a/c here too and my billing for the 3 months prior to 7/23 was $1719 BUT with balanced billing I only was paying $432/mo as the remainder of the year is much lower energy use.
The tanks make in impact but won't be bad for you due to your lighting.
It's the A/C use...

Best to talk to LIPA, not sure were they would figure your 'average' from since you are starting off so high and they have no history for you.

roc5288

ReefersDelight
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
+ 1 on the a/c.I would say also that ur bill is estimated They kill me with that. sometimes is best for you to read the meter your self and call it in. My house is 2700 sf, 4 bedrooms,three bathrooms, 2 living rooms, 240g tank, 65g tank everything is electric heat, cooking. hot water. My monthly bill on average is 500$.

Salty Dog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90.9%
20   2   0
I live in stamford and I range at $750 in the summer. I do have a good size pool and hot tub but no A/C and never leave the lights on

My total system volume is 420gallons

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: