• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

What salt do you use for your aquarium?

• Instant Ocean

Votes: 71 37.6%
  • Reef Crystals

Votes: 29 15.3%
  • Kent Sea Salt

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Oceanic

Votes: 23 12.2%
  • Red Sea Salt

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Coralife Marine

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Tropic Marin

Votes: 35 18.5%
  • Seachem reef salt

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Bio-sea Marinemix

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • other (NSW)

Votes: 8 4.2%

• Total voters

John

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 85.7%
12   2   0
While many of us stick to a certian brand salt cause it has worked in our reefs for some time I can remember when I got into the hobby I really looked for peoples opinions on what salt was best and what people used with success. As MR is growing were seeing more and more new comers getting into the hobby so in order to help some of them out I suggest starting a poll on what salt you use and why you use it. I think we all can learn a little from someone who has used a salt with success or not that we have not tried ourselves

1. Instant Ocean
2. Reef Crystals
3. Kent Sea Salt
4. Oceanic
5. Red Sea Salt
6. Coralife Marine
7. Tropic Marin
8. Seachem reef salt

oogie

Nano Reefer!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted for Tropic Marin but, I have 2 bags of Bio-sea marinemix. I am running out of my tropic marin and though I would use it. But, I have heard stories that Bio-Sea marinemix contained high phos and can casue algae break out. Anyone use it? Any problem with phos?

Thanks in advance.

John

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 85.7%
12   2   0
I personally am behind Oceanic. Even though the stories remain of all the buckets being different and some of them having PH problems. I find that the salt disolves easy and my corals love it. I have yet to use a bucket that caused a PH swing in my tank knock on wood.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
oogie said:
I voted for Tropic Marin but, I have 2 bags of Bio-sea marinemix. I am running out of my tropic marin and though I would use it. But, I have heard stories that Bio-Sea marinemix contained high phos and can casue algae break out. Anyone use it? Any problem with phos?

Thanks in advance.
I use it, and like it. I haven't noticed any increase in phosphate (it is undetectable in my tank) or algae break out.

Who spread the rumor/story?

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
It looks like IO is the clear cut winner.

Why do all you guys/gals chose this salt? What's the attraction?

What is interesting about IO is that it contains EDTA as a preservative. EDTA binds Mg and Ca. So the way that it acts as a preservative is by preventing growth of living things, since Mg is essential for life, with the fastest growing organism being affected first. The mechanism of action is the sequestering of Mg away from enzymatic funtions.

But the "catch22" is that reef tanks are all about growing things so the EDTA must be acting in a "preservative" manner preventing growth in some way, shape or form.

Just my 2c, I would love to hear yours!! :)

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
347   0   0
solbby said:

What is interesting about IO is that it contains EDTA as a preservative. EDTA binds Mg and Ca. So the way that it acts as a preservative is by preventing growth of living things, since Mg is essential for life, with the fastest growing organism being affected first. The mechanism of action is the sequestering of Mg away from enzymatic funtions.

But the "catch22" is that reef tanks are all about growing things so the EDTA must be acting in a "preservative" manner preventing growth in some way, shape or form.

Huh?!

Well I use IO for one reason, its working for me and its Cheap...and thats the language I speak. Could it really make things not grow?

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
It's all relative! The "things" that are not growing are the microflauna, leading to a decrease in biodiversity. However, you may not see any effects on the macroflauna that is observable. For, example, marine biology labs don't use IO, why not if it is cheap, since trying to do science in this day and age is all about trying to find the cheapest way to do things.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I've been using Kent from the beginning of my new tank.

Sean told me that Kent and RC are the same salt, but that's coming from another companies report I believe.

Kent has worked for me so far. I did just order some RC from the sale at dr's smith...

I did not get the half ton I was thinking of, I had worries that if the salt did not work for my tank I would have to sell off 17 buckets.

John

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 85.7%
12   2   0
I bought a bucket of IO at MM thinking I would make the switch from oceanic to IO in my new tank but im not so sure now. Even though its the clear winner many have said that IO is great for FO or FOWLR but not reefs. I'm thinking of maybe selling this bucket of IO and buying maybe some RC like jon. IDK urgggg

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
solbby said:

why would you need a preservative in salt, what use is it for?

salt is a preservative, an old school one, but that's what it was used for.

do you know if RC has EDTA in it as well?

Narcissus

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My vote was for none of the above. Mixing salt drives me nuts! I use Real Ocean which is...filtered real ocean. From the Cantalina company. Nobody makes saltwater better than Mother Nature. Found it not to be that much more expensive after adding up the cost of salt and source water and time it takes to give it O2, make sure pH is ok, etc.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: