• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Well it finally had to happen. The clam was getting to large to be placed in my tank perpendicular to the front glass as it was almost touching both ends. Because I was in a rush and nervous about the move (the third time it's been moved since I've had it) I didn't bother to measure. But going by the depth of the tank front to back the clam is just shy of 24 inches long. I moved it into a 300 gallon tub that will eventually be one of a few that is the sump system for my own tank.

Now, when I moved it, I heard something snap. The clam was very heavy, I would guess between 30 and 40 lbs. I am terrified that I damaged something inside just because when I pulled it out I couldn't properly position myself to support it how it needed to be. I will check on it downstairs in a few hours and see if it's starting to open up at all. Wish me luck.

Here's some pictures to document.

First, how it looked in the 180.
giant%20gigas%203.jpg

Now the move.
moving%20giant%20gigas%204.jpg

I will measure the container to get an approximate size of the clam later.
moving%20giant%20gigas%208.jpg

moving%20giant%20gigas%207.jpg

I picked it up and called my daughter over to give it some scale. I wanted her to put her melon next to it but she didn't want to get too close. LOL.
moving%20giant%20gigas%206.jpg

And finally, it's new home, a 300 gallon tub around 5 feet across.
moving%20giant%20gigas%205.jpg

So like I said, I will check it in a few hours and hope that it is recovering fine. Wish me luck! My wife is so upset that it's no longer upstairs.

A

Anonymous

Nice T. Gigas.

That would make a boat load of clam chowder. ;)

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the story behind the 300g rubbermaid, I have one of those I'm trying to figure out what to do with, and a top down lagoon is on the shortlist :D

Also I knew this guy who had a monster clam too, he had a 54g bowfront and the tank was like 70% clam!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damn, your tub looks better than my tank! :D

Peace,

Chip

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
forget about the clam, why is that plant so saggy!!!

lol

Ayway hope it turned out well for ya, this is how I lost my derasa at just over 12". I took it out to move it and it died days after. I grew that over a long time many years from a couple inchs. Was a very sad thing to lose. Kinda what made me lose interest in the hobby for a bit.

I just went back and looked at my clams shell above my TV and imagining one twice that size is just crazy the pictures dont justify the size of your clam, man that thing is huge!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
72xmulch":27nmhggm said:
forget about the clam, why is that plant so saggy!!!

Can you move over? I want to watch the TV...

Seriously, nice looking tank (and kid).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kudos. I spawned two amazingly beautiful children.

But anyway, the clam recovered just fine thank goodness.
giant%20gigas%202.jpg

giant%20gigas%203.jpg

The plant is a bromeliad. That's the way it's always grown. It didn't do well for me at first when I got it but then I kept it outside on the north side of the house all summer long and it took off. Been growing well for me indoors ever since. Though it's never bloomed again since the first one.

cindre2000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I so want a gigas. I almost got one last year, but it up and died in quarentine (a 4" one a local reefer traded for since he couldn't keep up with the calcium demand for both a 4" gigas and a 4"derasa in a 30g). Looks like I will have to wait till I get a 300g stocktank...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: