• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not familiar with that common name. Got a pic or latin name?

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're carnivores, and will take out pods if they come out in the daytime. Some say pseudos could destroy a whole pod population, but I can't see how. They just sleep at night when all the pods are out doing their thing.

I have 3 orchids and they can't make a dent in my pod population, and I don't even run a fuge.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not worried about mine either... My substrate and rock have been producing pods for 3.5 yrs now without a preditor.

B.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unarce":3dt6b98c said:
I have 3 orchids and they can't make a dent in my pod population, and I don't even run a fuge.

Hijack alert!

How did you go about selecting three orchid dottybacks to coexist? I am finding conflicting info on how to pair them, and would love a pair or trio.

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laura D":2dctktmc said:
Unarce":2dctktmc said:

Hijack alert!

How did you go about selecting three orchid dottybacks to coexist? I am finding conflicting info on how to pair them, and would love a pair or trio.

Orchid's are supposed to be the most mild-tempered of this group. If your tank's large enough, you can keep a group. My tank normally wouldn't be large enough, but I think the 3 islands I have makes it work. They're breeding, too.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laura D":vzvhyc6h said:
Unarce":vzvhyc6h said:

Hijack alert!

What Karl said. I have formed two pairs, one in a 12 gallon and one in a 40 gallon. The pair in the 40 spawned.

There is a sexual dimorphism in these fish. The males have a slight streamer on the lower part of the tail, while the female's is completely rounded. It's almost like the males have a half lunate fin.

This is a picture of a probable male.
Psfri_u0.jpg

I say probable because apparently it is not 100%. However, this is what the people at ORA have told me they use to sex the fish, and it has worked for me twice.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: