• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've added 11 peppermint shrimp in the last month to take care of a couple of aiptasia, and each and every one were taken out by my tangs :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added six to mine and my cleaner shrimps cannibalized them all. I saw them hunting and catching the smaller peppermints!

I've since used Joe's Juice and have gotten most of the Aiptasia. There's a couple popping out again but I expect I'll be able to get them all with a few more rounds of the stuff.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Squirt super glue on them and bury them in epoxy. Works great and you can remove the epoxy later if you like.

This has worked 100% of the time for me.

You can wipe out shrooms and polyps this way too.

I am suprised more people don't do this.

If you have boat loads of them, well, then, this might not be an easy way to get rid of them.

Louey

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had good results with Peppermints for small and medium size aptasia and for preventing reinfestation, but not so much for large ones.

What I do with the larger ones is as follows:

Mix up some kalkwasser to about a milk / heavy cream consistency and then microwave it in a glass until it's boiling. Turn off all circulation/pumps. Use a syringe or turkey baster to squirt this stuff on the aptasia. The consistency will seem a lot thicker underwater - basically like paste.

Don't get too close with the tip of the baster/syringe - you don't want the aptasia to retract right away. Let the little blobs stand for at least a few minutes before turning pumps back on.

Personally, I've never had an aptasia survive this process but maybe I'm just lucky... :)

HTH

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS had a huge problem in a 600G display tank (SPS). About 6 weeks ago they dropped in a copper banded butterfly (chelmon rostratus) and the tank is clear. Have read here about the use of butterflys being a bit hit and miss, but having watched this beastie at work, if (when) I ever get aiptasia, this would be the first thing I try!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sfsuphysics":34j2dksq said:
no luck with Berghai nudis?

You mean those things that can't stand flow and disappear into a reef tank like a needle in a hay stack?

Karl, don't waste your money, they're pretty much worthless in a higher flow reef system.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unarce":2qjobviy said:
I've added 11 peppermint shrimp in the last month to take care of a couple of aiptasia, and each and every one were taken out by my tangs

sad0126.gif

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawdawg":1nn3n42x said:
Unarce":1nn3n42x said:
I've added 11 peppermint shrimp in the last month to take care of a couple of aiptasia, and each and every one were taken out by my tangs

sad0126.gif

You've got the best emoticons ever. :P

bradl.

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read some where that Joes is just Kalk and salt. I have 2 small Peps. that do an excellent job tho.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: