• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

How close to the surface can I have these. Currently I have it about 6 inches from the anticipated low water level. I would like to have it more like 3". Would I have issues with it sucking air that close to the surface?

A

Anonymous

I think they only suck air if they are within an inch or so from the surface. 3" should be no problem at all.

Louey

A

Anonymous

I saw those for sale on a site I was at. What do they do? Are they water intakes for the overflow? Not sure I understand their purpose. Sorry I can't help with you question.

A

Anonymous

The are inductors. They use high velosity water to drag water along with it to "induce" additional flow. Venturis are a type of inductor that are designed to suck air.

A

Anonymous

The penductors are for in tank use. You get additional flow with out extra pumps. Things like beckets are used in skimmers.

A

Anonymous

Ok so now I am really confused. What do you hook a penductor up to?

A

Anonymous

Here is one in use in Louey's tank.

1-1-06_update_003_561.jpg

The water comes from the return pump in to an orrice that increases the velosity of the water comming out of the pipe. This high velosity water will drag more water with it, approx 5 times the pumped volume, in through the large disk open area.

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine, Mark. Both of mine are less than 3" from the water level, and neither suck in any air.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I think I understand. You place these on your returns and they increase flow by dragging water into the stream created by the return pump right? Does it also creat a wider flow area? These sound like a great idea. Well worth looking into. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have the concept correct, not sure about the flow patteren mine are still dry. Louey and Karl should be able to let us know. Guys, guys.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that link where you ordered yours from? What was the cost and how do you order?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louey had some extra's and I bought them from him. I think they sell new for around $25 in a couple places.

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The patterns the same. The flow just reaches out a lot further. Slightly more with an eductor, but those things are too much of an eyesore.

dbsherwood

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't want the "eyesore", you can go with Mazzei eductors, which look like nozzles and don't have any extensions beyond that. You can check them out at www.mazzei.net. They're called TurboMixers.

I've got them in and need a few new elbows before putting them in my tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: