• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jneuringer

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small fuge on the back of my 75g FOWLR, with calurpa and curly green macro in it. I originally thought my PC lights were fading, and making the tank look yellow/green. Then I thought MAYBE the water is yellow green, so I added a bunch of activated carbon (to be removed in a couple days) and started noticing it clearing up...

Is it likely the fuge and the macro? Any way to avoid? Is it more likely calurpa or the other green curly one? (looks like curly spaghetti)

Fatal Morgana

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dissolve organic compound (DOC) typically give a yellowish tint to the water, and it is a well known fact. Carbon will clear it up, as you experienced, but usually it does not do much harm without the water polishing, just a cosmetic issue.

there is no way to avoid it unless you pour bleach on the water and kill off all the live plant and live animal as well as microscopic algae and bacteria. Pretty much all living things will contribute to the DOC, but some (like Caulerpa) are worse than the others.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get into the habit of running carbon now and then, that is a good way to deal with that.

Chaetomorpha (the spaggetti stuff) is supposedly less likey to do that. So if you can keep harvesting caulerpa and let the spagetti take over, you should notice less of the yellow tint.

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would get rid of the Caulerpa and just stick with the Chaetomorpha (if that's what you have).

Coralmania article by Eric Borneman:

In particular, I am very unfond of Caulerpa. It is invasive and very difficult to eradicate. It is toxic to fish and has many metabolites - and releases them when the organism degenerates during spawning. Acidic rhizomes etch carbonate and these algae can kill other more desirable species by overgrowth. I have had it grow right through the stalks of soft corals. Many aquarists say that it has not been a problem for them. My response? Just wait. It will. I guess my big question regarding Caulerpa is why use it at all when so many more desirable species of macroalgae exist, like Chaetomorpha species, or others.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-12/eb/index.htm

Good luck! :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jneuringer":3ddtupsh said:
I have a small fuge on the back of my 75g FOWLR, with calurpa and curly green macro in it. I originally thought my PC lights were fading, and making the tank look yellow/green. Then I thought MAYBE the water is yellow green, so I added a bunch of activated carbon (to be removed in a couple days) and started noticing it clearing up...

Is it likely the fuge and the macro? Any way to avoid? Is it more likely calurpa or the other green curly one? (looks like curly spaghetti)

Yes it can happen. I suspect you have micro algae. Especially if the tank look clearer (more whitish) when the lights first come on. and most especially if nitrates are not down to unmeasurable levels yet.

Mechanical filtration as with the carbon will help but the green/yellow may just reappear after the filtration is stopped.

You also could try less feeding and lighting in the display and that may help also.

But if you simply continue to encourage the macros in the fuge and even expand them, the water will also clear up. You are just not to the point yet where the plant life is removing all that's in there. And if the tank was started without the refug with plant life then it can take some time.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caulerpa will turn the water a light yellow/green. This is just the nature of the beast. Running Activated Carbon for 2 days a month will remove it. To test the color of tank water just tape a white piece of paper on the far end and look at it from the opposite end. That will also tell you when to remove the carbon.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to add that when Eric Borneman speaks, smart people listen very closely.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fatal Morgana":nqr0a09b said:
Well, if they are *very* smart, they don't have to pay attention at all...

Say again? I wasn't listening.

;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: