• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

dansd

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with weekly water changes my Nitrates are staying too high (20ppm). I have a 55 gal tank w/50# of live rock. Only 2 small fish right now and some inverts. I have a feeling this issue will diminish in time. My tank is only a couple of months old and the live rock is still maturing. I have a skimmer and canister filter. I feed sparingly.

I have seen "nitrate Sponge" media advertised. It looks like I could put it in my canister filter. This could be a temporary measure until the live rock is more established. Are there any down sides to using this type of media?

I don't have a refugium. I don't think it would be possible to add one, except maybe one of those small internal ones.

DD

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi DD,
What's your reason for the canister filter to begin with?

~wings~

dansd

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wings8888":24j7j5pd said:
Hi DD,

~wings~

Thanks for the advice Wings? I think you're saying that the canister filter is the likely cause for the Nitriate, but I'm not sure. It was what the LFS recommended. What problems do they cause? Please elaborate.
DD

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dansd":11dbfteg said:
wings8888":11dbfteg said:
Hi DD,

~wings~

Thanks for the advice Wings? I think you're saying that the canister filter is the likely cause for the Nitriate, but I'm not sure. It was what the LFS recommended. What problems do they cause? Please elaborate.
DD

Exactly... many people refer to canisters as "nitrate factories". So many people add another power head, and ditch the canister altogether. Skim like crazy when ya do, because that allows you to export the nasties (DOC, etc). You can add a sponge, but you're dealing with a symptom. Try finding out the reason why you're nitrates are high...you'll spend less money in the long run. ;)

...relax too, though. Your tank will go through many changes as it matures. Don't do anything rash, unless you know the reason why.

~wings~

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When detritus gets sucked into the canister, it sits there until you clean them up. Otherwise, the detitus (they are still organics) will stay there until it rot. And the in the process of disintegrated by bacteria, the nitrogen cycle repeats over and over again.

Time that take for detritus to be disintegrated by bacteria is very quick, and people usually do not clean the canister that frequent.

For example, if you do not use canister, but instead, you place a sponge before the powerhead inlet. Everyday, everyday you will find that sponge filthy dirty when you rinse them under running water. And think of all those detritus simply sit in the canister, which you may not clean it until 2-4weeks later.

In the oxygen rich environment, the final stage of the nitrogen cycle is Nitrate. That's why canister is being referred to as nitrate factory.

dasaphrota

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not wanting to thread steal here but I have a very similar setup only with a emperor 400 power filter with a biowheel and my nitrates are much much higher (around 100 ppm) could this filter also act as a nitrate factory?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dasaphrota":e60mvxdv said:
not wanting to thread steal here but I have a very similar setup only with a emperor 400 power filter with a biowheel and my nitrates are much much higher (around 100 ppm) could this filter also act as a nitrate factory?

Yeah, I'd say so.
~wings~

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two concerns over using anything that filters stuff like nitrates or even phosphates. First if it is ion exchange then what ion is being returned to system and the nitrAte ions are being removed? second, if it removes the ions from the system, then what other ions are also being removed?

Nitrates at 20ppm are not all that high but the fact the system is not reducing them may also mean other stuff is not being maintained. I hope your live rock will produce enough plant life soom to consume the nitrates and other stuff.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beaslbob":2idf4ijn said:
I have two concerns over using anything that filters stuff like nitrates or even phosphates. First if it is ion exchange then what ion is being returned to system and the nitrAte ions are being removed? second, if it removes the ions from the system, then what other ions are also being removed?

Nitrates at 20ppm are not all that high but the fact the system is not reducing them may also mean other stuff is not being maintained. I hope your live rock will produce enough plant life soom to consume the nitrates and other stuff.

http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=60970

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: