• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Tank 58, 250W HQI MH, 2 95W actinics. 10 months old.

PH 8.0
ALk = 10 dkh
Cal = 380
PO4=0 (Undetectible by the Salifert Kit)
Temp = 78
Nitrate = 0

I have had it with Hair Algae.

I have added a second DI to my RO/DI filter. 0 TDS

When changing the water I scrub and siphon the HA out.

I have been doing 15 gallon water changes every week or 2 for the last 4 months.

I have done 2 larger water changes of 30 gallons each as well.

I scub the LR and it comes right back in 2 days.

5 weeks ago I removed all the LR scrubbed and dunked in new SW and placed back into tank twice.

I added a few Nassirius, Astrea, Margarita, Nerite snails = no change

I tried a Lawnmower Blennie and wouldn't touch it.

I am about ready to tear the tank down and get rid of it.

Any last recommendations?

Carpentersreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested your source water for PO4 or anything besides TDS?
What do you use to feed your inhabitants, and how much?

Mitch

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
blueoceandiver":3mbcug8n said:
get rid of the sand bed ,its most likely the cause of phosphate.

I would disagree. If the tank was older that could be the source, but unless you overfeed all of the time I do not think that is the culprit. What is you stocking now? Do you have a tang, they seem to help in mine. Besides cutting back on the feeding try reducing you proto period temporarly. I find mexican turbo snails work the best in my tank for algae control. The down side is they get big. The up side is it only takes 7 to keep my 110 clean. Do you have a skimmer? I do not see it listed. If you do not you may want to consider getting one. How is the flow in you tank? If it is not 10X plus you may want to increase it to keep the food and fish poop suspended in the water to be taken out by the skimmer.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed 1/2 cube of frozen mysis every 2 -3 days.

I have a skimmer (MyReef MR-1).

I have 2 clowns adn a 6 line wrasse.

I have tested a fresh batch of mixed water and the po4 is 0.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it alone. Stop scrubbing and disturbing everything and it will balance itself out. Also your pH looks a little low. Sometimes doing nothing is the best option. Get yer hands out of the tank and give it a chance to settle.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-4 inches of sand in a tank that young wouldn't be causing any problems. Normal tank cycling. Just stop tinkering with it so much. ;)

Aff

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like sally lightfoot crabs for hair algae. I've had good luck with them in 2 tanks. One had hair algae and the other feather calurpa that got out of control. Not gonna say it's a sure thing but worth a try.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might also want to increase the amount of flow or turn over in the tank. Hair Algae loves slow moving water.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, Southdown. IIRC sometimes that has lots of organics in it. Has anyone tested Southdown for phosphates?

Joew

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read even if you have 0 tds ro/di you may have a ton of nutrients built up on your rock. Mainly detritus i think. I am gonna start vacuming my tank with a canister filter soon. I look at my rock now and see the detritus buildup. Thought it might help.

Joew

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible that the rocks are loaded up.

Rover, If I leave it alone it starts to smother the corals. Is that ok?

Should I continue frequent water changes?

Carpentersreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given how much you're feeding, the rocks shouldn't be loaded up after only 5 weeks... :?
(unless by a "cube" we're talking about 2 different sizes..)

By doing water changes, you're basically doing the job of a modified skimmer, so I see no reason to continue them. It's either going to get worse, or it's going to get better, and it looks like the water changes that you are doing aren't accomplishing anything.
You don't have a pic that you can post, do you?

Mitch

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a dsb in my 15 high, and LOADS of hair algea. Could it be a problem? The sand bed is 2 years old. Should I take it out? Does anyone have refrences about the relationship between dsb's and nusance algeas?

thanks
B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: