• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Drowing_Fish

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I went looking to HD for some of that southdown sand. When I called they gave me a SKU# and a Model# so that I could walk in and out with much of a hassel. Instead of finding Southdown Sand like I had hoped, I was shown to something called Lime Crest Torpical Play Sand.

Is this the same product but under a different name?? Does anyone know?? I live in NYC.

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to get a small sample of it and see if it bubbles when mixed with vinegar. If it does, it's most likely a calcium carbonate based sand. Also, check the label as it might indicate if it's primarily silicon dioxide or calcium carbonate.

hth

Shane

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silica based sands should also have a warning label on them, that they can cause cancer..

Not that it matters much, I've used silica based playsand, and aragonite based playsand.

L8r mega

Minh Nguyen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MegaDeTH":2qbtbghg said:
Silica based sands should also have a warning label on them, that they can cause cancer..

L8r mega
This is not true. Silica sand is everywhere. It is basically the sand in your back yard. Very fine silica dust when inhaled chronically can cause lung problem (pelple who work in sand blasting, grinding ect..)
Minh Nguyen

Drowing_Fish

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On reefcentral.com, they are having a long discussion on this product. Somebody posted a picture of what the bag is supposed to look like. Now this Lime Crest bag is identical to the SD bag except for the fact that it has Lime Crest written on it. Is it possible that it is the same stuff from the same parent company but under a different name??

Bluetangclan

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont shoot me but if it says Tropical Playsand it is prolly Aragonite. My HDs only carry silica so thats prolly what I will use with a bag of LS and maybe a detrivore kit. I am starting a new tank soon, so have been doing my own research on this. I havent heard any negatives from anyone wo uses silica. My LFS said to look for tropical playsand for the top line reason. So take their word for what you will, they arent all the complete morons these boards make them out to be(not saying they are always right either).

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few pinches of the play sand and a cup of vinegar is all you need to know if it's calcium based sand. Fizzle with bubbles = probably great for your tank.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minh Nguyen I know it's everywhere, something like 70 % of the earths crust is silica based.

There's a law about the dust warning label, that's why every bag with silica dust has this warning label on it.

I'm not sure if it's a state or federal law though.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I picked up my bag last weekend I just looked for something on it that said it came from the Southdown company... Mine had an address on the back near the bottom in small print. (I didn't know they were out of Easton, PA.. I used to live close by there..)

IMO: If you want to make sure it's real Southdown, look for the company name and address on the bag.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which HD in the city? I would like to get a bag for a fish only tank at work.

Thanks
Brett

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: