• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

esmithiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been pruning xenia, two distinct varieties that I wish I had never left in my tank. They leave a nasty smell on my hands that nothing but gasoline will erase (the gasoline smells almost as bad as the xenia). Any ideas?

Ernie

Marcosreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds crazy, but stainless steel (spoon, sink, whatever) and rub it all over your hands and the smell should go away.

Marco

LFS42

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish they would put disclaimers on certain corals.
"warning you will want to kill this eventually :!:
P.S.
It really stinks when you touch it too. 8O "

I use a gojo orange citris cleaner.
I usually find it at Home Depot.

Expos Forever

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A match will probbably take care of the gas smell pretty quickly. But then there's the burning flesh smell to get rid of....

Have you tried lemon juice?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know tomato juice works on Skunk, but not sure re Xenia...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry, cheeseboy, but i can attest to the FACT that tomato doesn't do sh!t for skunk. (my dog has a "thing" for stink, and we get LOTS of skunks up here. anytime that ***** sees one she's on it like flies on...you know what. gotta take her back down to dog beach and get some pics of the fool dog smearing her whole body in the rotting kelp.)

febreeze. (take it from a mom who knows.)

trigger0214

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds crazy, but stainless steel (spoon, sink, whatever) and rub it all over your hands and the smell should go away.

Isn't the rubbing your hands on stainless steel thing supossed to get rid of that embarrassing garlic and onion odor?? Mmmm fried garlic and xenia....

O P Ing

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
So does the stainless trick work? It will be interesting if it does. I am going to propose the following hypothesis... let me know if some know the exact mechanism if the stainless steel trick worked.

The iron or the chromium in the stainless steel acts as catalyst that denature the chemial that give the Xenia smell.

Warlock

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I am really showing my newbie colors....

Why does everyone (I think) hate xenia?

Grow like weeds? Stink? Kill other stuff?

Just asking.....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: