• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
ricordias come cheap from FL.

you can find vendors out of Florida that will sell you Ricordia cheap as hell. I bought a 20 for $150 shipping included.

The guy on craigslist buys it from the internet, doubles the price and sells it to you, just go straight to the source.

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
ricordias come cheap from FL.

you can find vendors out of Florida that will sell you Ricordia cheap as hell. I bought a 20 for $150 shipping included.

The guy on craigslist buys it from the internet, doubles the price and sells it to you, just go straight to the source.
the luxury is no risk other than your time
which is why I like supporting LFS and guys who are willing to take the risk quarintine the animal.
Just a matter of preference

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
the luxury is no risk other than your time
which is why I like supporting LFS and guys who are willing to take the risk quarintine the animal.
Just a matter of preference
honestly name me 3 Lfs's that qt anything they sell. Not add things to their tanks but actually take an order and set it to the side for 6-8 weeks and actually qt livestock. Not its throw medication in a tank and constantly move livestock in and out of it.

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
not sure why you want to get into a pissing match over this
mere fact that I am not blindly opening the bag, hoping for a healthy animal is enough for me. Please by all means please buy direct. it simply isnt for everyone and not all people in this hobby have the ability to Q/T or house animals which have been shipped half way around the world.

I simply provided an alternative option

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
not sure why you want to get into a pissing match over this
mere fact that I am not blindly opening the bag, hoping for a healthy animal is enough for me. Please by all means please buy direct. it simply isnt for everyone and not all people in this hobby have the ability to Q/T or house animals which have been shipped half way around the world.

I simply provided an alternative option

Well what you are now talking about is seeing something before you buy it, which is different than buying from a Lfs,that does a qt process. Those are 2 different things. I agree on seeing something before I buy it and supporting the Lfs. I however disagree that any lfs's qt any of their livestock. Maybe if you were to pay extra on top of it.

ssminnow81

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.7%
67   3   0
wow... alot of back and forth but no real answer. i saw 100 rics for $500 and i was thinking about gettin 5 guys 2gether and spitting it. i was just curious if anyone had expierience with this and what 2 expect.

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
wow... alot of back and forth but no real answer. i saw 100 rics for $500 and i was thinking about gettin 5 guys 2gether and spitting it. i was just curious if anyone had expierience with this and what 2 expect.

that's the point you don't know what to expect, too many variables what do you do if the shipment arrives and it's all dead? does the seller guarantee live delivery? does the price include shipping and insurance?
feedback on the seller?
does the seller guarantee a variety of colors?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
There are many pitfalls with using ebay, but if you do some research and select the correct vendor it's the way to go most time. You need to pick out the sellers that have pictures, and some will even send you more pictures if you ask. Some have guarantees, though some will only give credits not refunds, so you need to check that out first. Looking at a sellers feedback will also give you an idea of what to expect from the seller, and it's a good thing with sellers that sell lots, like Rics and Zoas. Also, a lot of people selling on ebay either have websites or stores themselves, so you're basically just buying mail order.

Juggernot55

Renegade Reefer
Rating - 100%
216   0   0
There are many pitfalls with using ebay, but if you do some research and select the correct vendor it's the way to go most time. You need to pick out the sellers that have pictures, and some will even send you more pictures if you ask. Some have guarantees, though some will only give credits not refunds, so you need to check that out first. Looking at a sellers feedback will also give you an idea of what to expect from the seller, and it's a good thing with sellers that sell lots, like Rics and Zoas. Also, a lot of people selling on ebay either have websites or stores themselves, so you're basically just buying mail order.

+1 you just have to know how to buy from ebay

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Ebay is hit or miss I bought stuff on there from a guy once and everything was good he was all nice trying to be my best friend. The second time everything came in dead and when I asked him to rectify the situation he literally told me to go F myself!

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
again I have been doing this a long time it is MY PERSONAL preference I'd rather pay someone to take the risk and deal with the hassle.
I am just into the hobby like I was 20-25 years ago where I had holding tanks set up to buy enough to make it worth wild. I recall in the early 90's finding a guy selling Florida rock fairly cheap first couple of boxes were nice next few were road rubble tar and cement seller denied called me a liar. when you get down to it the cost of a system to house and acclimate direct shipped animals isnt cost effective unless you are reselling to cover the cost.

I have purchased livestock in the past through ebay and 0nlu 10% were trouble free. the rest had to be resolved through ebay and paypal

again these are my personal experiences and personal view
I have had better success and more enjoyment trading and buying from local reefers

ssminnow81

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.7%
67   3   0
thanx for the responses... does anyone know how i can arrange a group buy on m.r.?
b4 i do that i would get the seller to send me pics so i can get a better idea of what im gettin.
as long as they look good itll end up being $5 a pc.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
thanx for the responses... does anyone know how i can arrange a group buy on m.r.?
b4 i do that i would get the seller to send me pics so i can get a better idea of what im gettin.
as long as they look good itll end up being $5 a pc.

If we can find a deal I would be interested. Group buys are a PITA!!!! Keep it to just a few people that live close by and have a car!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: