• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
It seems that there are so many people in this hobby that are stressed every time they see something either growing or just appearing in their tanks.
I figured I would post things that over the years just went away with no help from me.
Hair algae.
I have no idea when I took this picture but it must have been at least 15 years ago. That fireclown is stil with me and he is almost 18 now, but look at all the hair algae. The fish and corals were in great shape, but the tank looked horrible. It left on it's own like it always does
scan0005.jpg

About 2 years ago I had so many flatworms that I could not find any rock that was not covered in them. Everyone was urgeing me to use "Flatworm Exit"
IN about 6 months, every one of them disappeared. I didn't use anything.
Last year I noticed one tiny spot of this bubble algae. Everyone said I had to remove it immediately or it would cover everything in the tank and the tank would crash.
Much of it has died off and it is only on a couple of rocks. I like the stuff and think it is interesting.
IMG_1497.jpg

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Although it has worked for you it doesn't always go that way Lol.

As far as the flatworm issue, if you had AEFW's and had no Acro's in the tank than they would naturally die off over time from lack of food.

I agree sometimes we jump the gun but most times it is really for the good of the tank and it's inhabitants.

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
I think I have had almost every pest known to reefing over the years from excessive algaes to Sea Spiders and I agree with Paul many things have just been a cycle and left alone, but I do take some preventive measures now so hopefully they don't happen again... like watching nutriant levels better etc... , but for some pests like red bugs and flatworms I actually had to directly take care of. The red bugs I had to do the interceptor treatments and the flatworms, although I didn't use flatworm exist or any meds, I did add a few more wrasses and watched my iodine levels...I was dosing at the time to achieve better pink coloration and I've read that excessive iodine contributes to the growth in population of flatworms..once I stopped dosing, added the wrasses and dip everything I haven't seen them again....

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Hi Mike:smile:
If you keep a tank long enough you will see cycles of everything. Most tanks are only a few years old so you don't see this stuff. I used to get cycles of hair algae every few years and they would last a year or so. Now I aded an algae trough or scrubber and I don't get hardly any HA.
even if I did, I would not do anything to the water to eliminate it. I know it is actually a healthy thing and it will only hurt corals if it shields them from light, and we don't like the way it looks, but it grows on every healthy reef in the sea. I just let it grow until it exhausts the nutrients, limit feeding and don't change the water, then it will die, yes it will, and I suck out the dead algae before it rots.
See the picture I posted with the hair algae? The corals are perfect.
You can get crazy and add vodka, sea hares, snails, crabs, tangs algae bleenies slugs or grenades and it will still disappear on it's own.
Don't believe me do you? OK then buy those animals, they are interesting. ;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: