• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
Hey guys, I was wondering what would be the best natural clean up crew for I side my sump , would serpent stars help at all. I added hermits but there just not cutting it. I have some live rock in my sump so it is hard to access. Thanks in advance

Jarrett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
i am curious about this as well, i figured by adding animals down in the sump you would be adding more waste that wouldnt be cleaned up, thats why i never put anything in my sump refugium?

irvp13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Putting animals in the fuge would only add waste or might eat your algea. If you want to do something about the detritus there are people that siphon the sand every few months, I dont know if thats good becuase it disrups the sand bed and the bacteria living in it.

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
Well I have a 125 for a sump and I have a holding area built in my sump for acclimating fish or reintroducing fish back into dt , plus I have a area for live rock in my sump. This is all separate from my fuge

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
There is no way to avoid this other than putting a mechanical filter in. Like a filter sock.
If you add a pump and stir it into the water maybe your skimmer will take it out. Maybe your DT will look cloudy all the time.

I did read about a reefer with a basement sump who installed a small tank upstream from the sump. The tank water entered this tank and slowed down to the point any particulates would fall out of suspension and stay in that tank. He would just have to clean that tank periodically.

emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
when I had my 125 I would syphon out the sump once a month .The chamber that had live rock in it would get stirred up with a power head and then syphoned out .While doing this keep the return pump off .
when I say syphon I actually used a mj1200 with a hose like a vacuum cause syphoning is a pain from a low area like that

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Fuge question

I realize many people use a dsb in fuge and for beneficial reasons, does anyone use only live rock and macro, with no substrate? I don't have mine setup but the thought would be for easy cleaning of the fuge.

I am using filter socks in sump, i figured this would be asked as well

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
Hey thirty6 it's just a wand like device and you hold it into the aquariums and it just sucks up water and drops it through this nylon mesh sock and catches dirty and detritus materials and just let's the water drain back out kind of like a sump sock I think it will work in a sump after all it's called a gravel vac I'm sure it's strong enough to work in a sump.

Mr Hyde

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I use one of those for my bare bottom quarantine tank. Also used it in my sump when I set up the tank, and didn't have the filter socks in.

Just pay attention, and don't submerge the device below the indicated water line. I also thoroughly run, and rinse it out in fresh water after using it since mine is listed for fresh water use, and salt residue could jam up the impeller. i picked mine up on Amazon

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
That bacterial flock/denitris is the perfect medium for starting an entire food web of pods and other live goodies, which feeds your system. it's called the detritus food web -> marine snow, and is separate from the commonly known solar based food web. Why remove it? If it's an eyesore, put a strip or 2 of black electic tape on the glass to cover the lower inch of the refuge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detritus

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: