• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I have a 46G tank that has a pleco and 2 Australian Rainbows. I have had these fish for years.

I am thinking of adding a few cichlids for now. Does anyone know if the rainbows and the cichlids will get along? If not I will need to find other fish that can get along.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Uhh...you do realize there are hundreds upon hundreds of species of cichids, from several different continents...ranging in size from two feet, to 1 inch, from every habitat and microhabitat, and with any and every temperament and behavior and housing requirement possible.

A

Anonymous

Yeah - I realized that after I posted this.

From what I have read is that the rainbows are "peaceful" and the cichlids are aggressive. So they probably wont work.

Now to find some fish that are active and colorful that will be compatible with rainbows.

A

Anonymous

Not all cichlids are off the scale aggressive. Rainbows are generally fairly tolerant of a wide range of water types and I've seen people mix them with rift lake cichlids, west african cichlids, south americans and central americans.

My favorites are the west African species, Pelvichromis, Benitochromis, Chromidotilapia, Steatocranus, Gobiocichla etc. A couple of Kribs would be a great addition imo. Low key and can be really pretty when they get settled in. Also maybe a couple of Keyhole cichlids if you like South Americans or a few Rams (might need to be a little softer water for these though the captive bred ones are pretty tolerant now).

A

Anonymous

rainbows (melanotaenia) are a great classic 'dither fish' for aggressive cichlids (africans in general), and have been used as such for decades, as have fish like the giant danio :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: