• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Tanker

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok heres the dilemma i have a under gravel filter that runs on 2 power heads the filter has been in place for quite some time now and i am starting to doubt its filtering quality's.

I would like to remove the plates for the UGF and clean them out plus use a little less gravel in the tank in hopes to improve the circulation through the gravel. My problem is that i have a few ideas of how to do this but never have done it before. I am worried that the fish will become stressed and that i will do some damage to the bacteria culture built up in the gravel.

I have three 5 gallon buckets to keep the fish in while i clean the UGF but the tank is 30 gallons so i will only be able to keep 15 gallons of water. plus i will have to remove everything from the tank.

How much stress is this going to cause the fish and what is the safest way to remove/clean a UGF ?

Should i just toss the plates and use the power heads strictly for circulation because i also run a Penguin 350 HOB filter that is good for aquariums up to 75 gallons ( my tank is 30 gallons )

Last and final question will this cause the tank to undergo a mini cycle ?

Tanks

Tanker

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Establish another bio-source. In other words, get another filter going on that tank...canister, powerfilter, etc. Do this before removing the undergravel filter.

Actually, just get that undergravel filter out of there. They work, but you can't get all the detritus out of them...ever. You're forced to make the fish live in their own sewage. Don't get me wrong, I used them for years...but I found better ways to keep freshwater fish.

Jim

Tanker

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK great thanks for the advice i just happen to have a extra filter that I'm not using that came with the tank.

Also i still want to use the power heads for circulation purposes and have seen some filter sponge attachments
that go on the intake of the power heads are these a good idea.

My problem with adding another filter is that because the tank is 30 gallons and the filter that is running on it right now is a Penguin 350 it pretty much takes up the whole back of the tank minus a couple inches. I could take the lid off the tank because i don't really need the lights and run the filter from the front of the tank.

Thanks

Tanker

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fyi-the bacterial colonies in an UG filter generally occupy only the top 1/4-1/2" of the gravel bed-the rest is just a dirt trapping pos scum attracter ;)

all you would need to do is siphon out the top 1/2" of gravel into a bucket, and siphon the rest out to a seperate bucket for a good rinsing/cleaning-put the top layer back in last (using whatever amount less you wish from the rest of the gravel)and you should be fine.

if you run a biowheel, like a penguin, the UG is completely unnecessary, and actually self defeating ;)

and what jim said :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: