• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I'm about to place an order and am trying to pick an inexpensive freshwater test kit for my wifes 55 gallon. What are the essential perameters to test for in a freshie tank? I'm basically trying to decide between Aquarium Pharmaceuticals freshwater master test kit (low range pH, high end pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) or Tetra deluxe laborett test kit (pH, carbonate and general hardness, nitrite, ammonia). It is a community tank with inexpensive fish, so I'm not looking at the expensive, more accurate kits. Also, simple tests will keep her interested. How about the 6-in-1 test strips? Thanks.

Riverspirit

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The basic parameter's for a Fw tank are ph, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Aquarium Pharmaceutical's is highly recommended, and pretty accurate. But in a FW tank, the ph doesn't matter too much, any fish can adjust to any ph range, if given time. Oh, and the test strips are fairly inaccurate IMO, I much prefer the liquid reagent ones. Hope this helped!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you much for your help. I'll order the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals kit. I have their saltwater kit currently and will most likely upgrade to a fancier saltwater kit when it runs out, but I have no complaints about it. I appreciate your fast response, as I'm ordering now. :D

Litespeed

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely recommend API test kits. If you don't want to get the PH portion, you can always buy the others separately through Walmart or on line at Marine Depot or Big Al's. I found they have the best prices. Each portion of the test kit comes with vials and a card to match up the colors, pretty easy to read.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it's true most fish will adapt to a wide range of ph and kH values, for a lot of species if you want them to look their best or to breed them you may well have to adjust these parameters. Also, if you plan on keeping plants some species just will not do well outside their normal range of values (rorippa spp. -really- needs hard water, hemianthus callictroides needs soft and acidic, etc).

The AP test kit is pretty solid, I use it myself. I just suggest adding their GH/kH kit, which only runs about $5.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: