• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

tah532

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inspired by the tank at the Shedd Aquarium with all neon tetras, I am planning on doing a similar tank. I am thinking just a 55 gallon though. What is the largest amount of tetras that could fit into this sized tank and be healthy? Also what other few fish like plecos or others would do well in this type of tank?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you might be able to get a hundred neons in a 55. I think I might be pushing 50 fish in my tetra tank. I have mixed in there cardinal tetras, rummy nose, lemon tetras, HY511 tetras, green fire tetras, harlequin rasboras, beckford's pencils, marble hachet's, coolie loaches, chocolate gouramis and a couple melinii corys.
I would suggest otos rather than plecos since almost any larger fish will munch on neons. I use 5 1/2 and ten gallon tanks as Q-tanks since you don't want to fight an ich infestation in a show tank of tetras. I treat all new tetras with one dose of Quick Cure at a rate of two drops per 5 gallons when I first get them and hold them for at least two weeks before introducing them to the main tank. The tetras seem to tolerate this low dose.
I really like HY511 tetras they look like bleeding hearts without the heart but grow only to the size of black phantoms and don't get huge like bleeding hearts.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful of the filters intake, I had a neon tetra tank to and the filter took to many of them out :( I feel bad for the little fellas, its been a few years tho good luck with the tank! yeah I agree with ranaman 100-120 max for a 55 make sure they get enough food, but its always a good idea to have a back up 10 gal incase you tetras feel over populated. I'd get a few snails to there nice.... :D

-shoe

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 neons if you want them to be comfortable healthy and happy

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: