• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I'm beginning the long-term contemplation of perhaps eventually starting up a large, fancy cichlid tank...

Can anybody specify any good books and/or online resources that I should peruse? My experience is predominantly in the marine reef area, so I'm not that up on freshwater considerations.

Thx.

A

Anonymous

I've been on all the cichlid sites. This one is far and away the best.

moggyhill

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the problem I had with African cichlids was that they were addictive. I started with a 55 gallon and ended up with a 600 gallon before I just concentrated on my salt water :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cichlids are neat but don't forget about all the other amazing fishes out of Africa. I am on a west african kick - I have a tank with two pelvichromis, some microptenopoma ansorgii, a liberian spiny eel and an African greenstriped algae goby.

Also I have a separate tank with a single polypterus senegalus - bichirs are really neat fish but you will have to plan ahead for space.

Lake cichilds are neat but don't overlook some of the more oddball fish that are coming out of West Africa since civil unrest has receded in many of those countries over the past few years.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
technoshaman":2v62ghw8 said:
Cichlids are neat but don't forget about all the other amazing fishes out of Africa. I am on a west african kick - I have a tank with two pelvichromis, some microptenopoma ansorgii, a liberian spiny eel and an African greenstriped algae goby.

Also I have a separate tank with a single polypterus senegalus - bichirs are really neat fish but you will have to plan ahead for space.

Lake cichilds are neat but don't overlook some of the more oddball fish that are coming out of West Africa since civil unrest has receded in many of those countries over the past few years.
Microptenopoma ansorgii are very cool fish!
Microctenopomaansorgii.jpg

Personally I'm a big fan of the SA cichlids. The dwarfs, eartheaters...I'm in awe of my group of Chaetobranchus. Cool fish...plus you can do plants.
8)
33b_march30_crop_p6_resize.jpg

tazdevil

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the Laetacara Dorsigera's, relatively peaceful, smaller, south american cichlid, and they are more curious than some other types, always coming to the front of the tank when someone is there. Unlike some other cichlid types, that run and hide instead. Here's a pic of a nicely colored pair (note: they used to be called Aequidens Dorsigera).

http://www.webcityof.com/ffpw3.asp?IID=59

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there's another nearly identical species called 'curviceps' , btw both are wonderful dwarfs that get gorgeous when breeding/courting :D

i had a spawning pair of dorsigeri for about 4 yrs :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a trio of dorsigera in the tank I posted above...though I never see them. :(

tazdevil

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yslexdia posted:

have a trio of dorsigera in the tank I posted above...though I never see them.

Could it be the other inhabitants they're with? My trio is out all the time, the only thing they're sharing the tank (39 gal almost cube, tall tank, not unlike the 30 gallon cube, just a little longer) with is 6 long-fin danio's. Now if I could entice them to a little fornication, I could keep from paying for much in supplies anymore.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tazdevil":vung0d14 said:
yslexdia posted:

have a trio of dorsigera in the tank I posted above...though I never see them.

Could it be the other inhabitants they're with? My trio is out all the time, the only thing they're sharing the tank (39 gal almost cube, tall tank, not unlike the 30 gallon cube, just a little longer) with is 6 long-fin danio's. Now if I could entice them to a little fornication, I could keep from paying for much in supplies anymore.
They've been kept with various tankmates. I've always found them to be fairly retreating...then again, they've always been the smallest cichlids in the tank. BUT, the Geo's that I had them with could hardly be considered agressive.

Though I will note that I had them in an exhibit when I was working in the Amazon exhibit at the Shedd...they were the largest fishes and were visible much of the time...spawned in there too.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: