• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Hey folks. Friend has a tiny pond (like a foot square) outside, unheated and unfiltered in Glendale (LA) CA. Temps are getting pretty warm right now. Any ideas for a easily obtainable fish that will live in that water and eat mosquito larvae? I was just thinking a betta.

A

Anonymous

A paradise fish is better than a betta since they will tolerate a wider tempature range. Gambusia of course would work and sometimes they are free from mosquito abatement districts. Common feeder guppies would work if the pool gets to the tropical range.

A

Anonymous

Florida Flag fish - these little killi fish are tuff and will breed.

fishphoto_0061_01.jpg

TheJGMProject

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Milpitas, next to San Jose, CA and are the fish mentioned above the best soluitons for mosquito larvae? I have about a 55gal pond in my back yard, with an underwater filter running. I also have 5 goldfish in there as well. Anyone think they might do the job?

Can you get the fish reccomended above at local pet stores? I'm sure I could get a beta easily.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
almost any FW fish will eat mozzy larvae-it's a universal yum yum-the above mentioned species just do the most efficient job

the main issue is to ensure you have a number a larvae eaters that can match the mozzy's larvae production

surface feeding fish will always work best, as the wrigglers stay mostly at the water surface (bettas, mollies, gambusia, guppies, all have upward turned mouths)

hth

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you mean the orfe , or golden orfe, they will do about the same job as koi and larger goldfish

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though I left off the 'e' on the end...what the hell else could I have possibly been talking about???

Peace,

Chip :P

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW mosquito fish are given out for free down here in LA. At least they were a couple months back. Your friend can look into it if they aren't looking for something a little more attractive.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
marillion":3m4anrlg said:
Though I left off the 'e' on the end...what the hell else could I have possibly been talking about???

Peace,

Chip :P

you could've been a poopoo head who thinks that orp has somethin to do with mozzy control, and typo'd the q :P

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you just get off yer duff and answer my ram question that I posted?

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paradise fish work well too and being air breathers dissolved oxygen isn't a problem. They are also cold tolerant.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: