• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I want to set up my tank as close as to the natural habitat of the fishes I choose. Anybody have some killer tank set ups for me to see? I need some ideas on aquascaping etc.

Thanks!

Ace

A

Anonymous

Thanks!

I'm going to look it over today. I have my gravel and now I need to decide on rock structures etc.

A

Anonymous

I think a tank like this looks cool. I still need to do a lot of reading but how much do plants play in an African tank? I thought plants were a minimum.

Attachments

• 10996a.jpg
    10996a.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 168
A

Anonymous

SpaceAce":1tmxkzys said:
I still need to do a lot of reading but how much do plants play in an African tank? I thought plants were a minimum.

From what I've read, they'll eventually dig them up or eat them. Plus there's not a lot of plants in their natural environment (rift lakes). Algea does grow on the rocks there, which they eat (at least the "Mbuna" africans).

A

Anonymous

Ok, that's what I thought. I guess I need to search out what a small portion of the lake might look like to get a better idea on how I want to aquascape and what rocks to use.

A

Anonymous

Cheese Sandwich":1koumrmo said:
SpaceAce":1koumrmo said:
I still need to do a lot of reading but how much do plants play in an African tank? I thought plants were a minimum.

From what I've read, they'll eventually dig them up or eat them. Plus there's not a lot of plants in their natural environment (rift lakes). Algea does grow on the rocks there, which they eat (at least the "Mbuna" africans).

Aufwuchs!! :)

A

Anonymous

So what type of rocks. Tufa? Lava? I need to see some pics of what these lakes look like.

A

Anonymous

I'd recommend that you use 'lace' rock. It looks very natural, and is a great way to make caves. The more little caves and crevices you've got, the more fish you can cram into a small space.

You should be able to get away with some Anubias sp. or Java fern. You can tie them to rocks with a bit of cotten thread or even rubber band them. They'll attach to the rocks and should be tough enough to survive any/most herbivorous cichlids.

cichlid-forum.com is a good site if you're just looking for a reference. But, if you want a good community to ask questions. CichlidMadness is the best, bar none.

A

Anonymous

This is what a 'natural' rift lake tank should look like.
malawitank.jpg

The round rocks are what you would find in nature...but like I said before, crevices caves are most important...especially with the mbunas.

A

Anonymous

OK, this is not exactly natural African lake like but I'm digging it.

Whattya think so far?

Attachments

• 40_african.jpg
    40_african.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 114
A

Anonymous

use bigger, and fewer, rocks-most of the rock environs of the great lakes are formed by huge boulders piled on top of each other-the resulting crevices are where the fish hang out for shelter, etc-you'll also get better algae scrubbing surfaces for 'em to scrub with their teeth :D

A

Anonymous

Here's a better shot. I really like the way Lace rock looks.

Attachments

• 40_african_2.jpg
    40_african_2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 109

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: