• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Chucky

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much like when you start dating someone, the REAL measure of success in keeping any species of fish is - do they breed?

Having succeeded at nothing more exciting than Jewel Cichlids, (which pretty much do it if the basics are OK anyway), I'd like to open the floor for people to boast about their DIFFICULT achievements, and how they did it!

bellis

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a dalmatian molly to breed as soon as I brought it home from the LFS!

:lol:

Seriously though, I've never tried. I want to try breeding cories, but I don't have the time or patience.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most difficult fish I'have ever had spawn for me were freshwater needlefish. I had two in 30 gallon brackish tank for a while. Then I moved them to an outside pond in Miami.
They adapted well and one I assume the male developed a reddish spot on the top of his head. I just threw in a net full of guppies every few days when I thought about it. One day looking in the pond I realized there were fry swimming around. Now the real fun started, freshwater needlefish are obligate fish eaters from day one. Plenty of pond food in the pool but no small fish and they are too small to eat baby guppies. I remembered a TFH article where they were raised by feeding them rainbowfish fry. I had a pool filled with what was sold to me as "parkinsonii". I think these were really run of the mill australian rainbows. So I fished out some of the cambomba growing in the pool and set it up in anempty pool. When I got a bloom of rainbow fish fry I introduced about a dozen needlefish fry. Then I just waited till they cleared the pool of rainbow fry and started adding guppies. I managed to raise a grand total of eight needlefish this way. Alot of work for a $15 fish.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
orange chromides
bettas
dwarf gouramis
zebra/leopard danios
harlequin rasboras
various livebearers
angels
discus
various african cichlids
blue acaras
dorsigerus acara
jewels
severums
sterbae corys
paradise fish

beau gregory damsels (yeah they're sw, but hey :P )

that's a mildly incomplete list :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do guppies count?

At home:
Geo. steindachneri
Geo. sp. "Bahia red"
Gymnogeo. gymnogenys
Lab. caeruleus
Pseudo. saulosi
electric blue Haps
red empress
Labeo. trewavasae
Neetroplus nematopus
Jack Dempsey
Lab. textilis
Aulonocara jacobfreibergi
Microgeophagus ramerizi
Hap. sp. "ruby green"
Hap. nyererei

At work:
Laetacara dorsigera
Hoplias malabaricus
Heros appendiculatus (despite my best efforts) :(

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about this.
We've got an exhibit with two full sized Amazon wolf fish (Hoplias malabaricus). (i work at the Shedd aquarium) Previously, no insitution that we know of has been able to house two full sized individuals. Because of some dimorphisms we noted, we speculated that we had a pair. They always stayed near eachother.

They normally spend all their time very close to the water surface. They stay motionless in some of the habitat we've got set up. One summer, they started acting a bit strange. For several weeks, I observed them resting on the bottom. Usually one at a time, but occasionally both. I started getting worried when I noticed some differences in coloration. They were exhibiting really dark coloration...nearly black. And both of them were now resting on the bottom. They hadn't been eating well for weeks, and had gone off food for almost a week.

One day I noted a large pile of eggs underneath the large of the two individuals (I suspect its the female) I immediatly recognized a very large spawn. The eggs were quite large, approximately 3-4mm in diameter...mustard yellow in coloration. The eggs were mounded up in the shape of a gumdrop, about 6 inches high. A few days later, the eggs disappeared, but the pair stayed on the bottom. Even though they were far in the back corner of the exhibit, I could tell that they were floating over a small depression in the sand.

I went in on SCUBA later in the week to do some routine cleaning. I visited the nest...ever so carefully. This is when I noticed hundreds of the fry. I decided to net some out, fearing that the fry would never survive on exhibit.

I pulled approximately a hundred fry, approximately 10-20% of the spawn. The fry grew very quickly on brine shrimp nauplii and moina. Soon, it became quite clear that they were canibalizing each other. We continued to feed aggressively with increasingly larger food items (bloodworms to fry less than 1/2 inch), but could not stop the canibalism. Soon we had 50, then 25, then 10, then 2, and now just one is left.

The parents continued to guard the "nest" for a period of at least 4 months. They fed intermittently, but both continued to lose weight. Eventually, each of them visited the surface, and fed with the other fish. They continued to spend more and more time at the surface...ie normal behavior. Subsequent SCUBA dives was unable to confirm the fate of the fry on exhibit.

This was easily 8 months ago. Recently I was informed by another diver that there are several 2-3inch wolf fish swimming around in the debris at the bottom of the exhibit. We also still have the individual from the fry I netted. He as reached nearly 5 inches.

:D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: