• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Studz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all.
I have noticed that my Female Tiger barb has become considerably bigger in the last 24hrs. its 'stomach area' has become swolen.
She doesn't seem to have an problems swimming or feeding, there are no
protruding scales so its not dropsy.
The Male has been chasing her frantically about the tank, although I
have not seen the male do any head standing.
Could this mean she is carrying eggs?
The male has also developed a very bright 'nose', which again points to him being in spawning condition.

The female has also become very dark brown instead of the golden orange colour she usually it.

They have been also facin off at each other, biting each other on the nose?

I just want to make sure that it is not anything serious.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like prenup activity :D

shine a flashlight on her side-you should be able to see the actual eggs

Studz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'll have a look.

The female has now bend sitting near the top of the tank, near the filter, as when ever she moves from there, the Male comes bolting out and chasers her until she manages to out wit him, and get back to the top of the tank.

Studz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The female has been getting overly stressed and I was worried for her, so I have speratedthe two of them.

Although the other whising about his tank looking for her. I female seems happy with her new home. if only for a little while.

I did flash a light through her, when captured, but there is no eggs. I'm wondering if she aint a she after all?

gpodio

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If in doubt (pregnancy or constipation) feed her some pealed green peas, they will help with constipation and won't harm the pregnancy if that's what it is.

If she is holding eggs, they are infertile until they are actually released onto the substrate or plant matter, it's during the release that the male fertilizes the eggs (external fertilization). That would explain why the male is following her so closely... the deed has yet to occur so to speak :)

Always good to have a couple females per male to distribute the harassment and stress. Here's a link that may be of some use to you:

http://library.kcc.hawaii.edu/external/ ... tiger.html

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio

Studz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aye, they have been fine for the 6-7 months I have had them together, they aren't normally agressive, contray to normal blief of Tiger Barbs.

Thanks for the link, its seem very interesting.

after readin it I have put her back in the main with the male, maybe they'll sort themselves out

gpodio

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once they reach sexual maturity the agressiveness will become more noticeble and you will find the male will become quite persistant in his attempts towards the female. It may not show all the time, but when she's ready to lay eggs the male can indeed stress her out a little.

Good luck with them
Giancarlo

Studz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aye on that note, the chasing itsn't just persistent, it is agressive. fins all flared etc.

its been like this for nearly a week now.

Studz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
true, its just they have been fine, as dosile as, well I was gonna say neons, but my neons fight a little, lol

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: