• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

dyslexia*teechur

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, all.

I am a teacher at a private school and I inherited the "class pet" at the end of the school year. I don't know much about it except that it's some sort of aquatic frog. I'm thinking an African Clawed Frog. It was used in some sort of experimental testing and is 7 years old. It apparently can survive extreme cold and heat and go for up to a month without eating.

I'd like to give it a better life, but I really don't know where to start. It would help if someone could point me in the right direction.

Here's a picture of Frog.

DSCN3335.jpg

fishfanatic2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd agree that it's an African Clawed Frog, and a decent-sized one at that. Give it a tank about 20-30 gallons and two-thirds filled with water. Any substrate is fine, a small power filer would be adequate, and lighting is up to you. Keep the tank between 70-75 degrees, and use rocks and other items for aquascaping. Also, make sure that any holes in the tank are covered, as they are escape artists. I had one a few years ago, he escaped and I never saw him again. Feed brine shrimp, krill, and reptile/amphibian pellets, and some live food once in a while wouldn't hurt.

If you wish to keep tankmates with the frog, then I would use a bigger tank as the fish must be bigger than the frog can fit into his mouth-and they have big mouths.

HTH

dyslexia*teechur

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

She is a bit big from what I've read. She's about 9 inches (just her body).

Can turtles live with her? Does she need any sort of rock? She tends to keep her head out of the water.

fishfanatic2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9 inches, thats a big frog!

Turtles should be fine, but then I might use a larger tank.

A rock above water couldn't hurt, but I'm almost positive that they're 100% aquatic. Someone else may have a little more insight on this. :)

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all great advice, agreed totally. That in-between feedings feature is common among the amphibians where temperature preferences (cooler) control metabolism and allow for infrequent food uptake during times of unavailability or dormancy...I don't think it's necessary to extend the feeding intervals that far, but in the event of Christmas Break it may come in handy!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: