• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ZanaZoola14

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am looking at stocking my newest tank and would like some opinions on it. The tank is larger than 50 us gallons, however I have "removed" some gallons to take into account the hardscape.

Actual —
Length x width x height
Inches — 69.69x12x15.75
cm — 177x30x40 approx

"Working"/internal —
Length x width x height
Inches — 69x11.9x14
cm — 175.26x27.94x35.56

This tank will be sumped! I luckily managed to get myself an overflow bit so this tank is now capable of being sumped, the size of the sump is still unknown due to not having it yet. I have room to add on a decent sized hang on refugium to the tank, as well as an ato if my sump size ends up rather small.
I am hoping for a sump size around 15 us gallons, if that is good?

I've already started this tank off to help with getting it cycled, so it currently has around half an inch of sand in there alongside 5kg of rock including some live rock I took from my other tank to seed some of the dry stuff. I was also given mangroves so they are in this tank as well.

I will be increasing the rock as well, another 3kg increased over the next couple of days. And hopefully when I can get a lift to the lfs I can get the final amount of rock in wet live rock. (Although I will be adding to it once I can get some branches). The rock is directly on the glass, with the sand surrounding it.

Any corals for the tank are likely to just be zoes and softies, as well as possible macroalgae. The lights on it currently are not very good, but I hope to upgrade these in the future.

I make my own saltwater as I have an RO/DI unit. Instant Ocean salt. I do also occasionally use natural saltwater as well.

Before I show the lists of fish I like, let me do some explanation. I am not intending to do all these fish. Only those in Known are guaranteed to happen. Otherwise the other two lists are based on the number I gave them, the higher the number, the more I am interested in them. Those in the Possible list are of more interest than those in the Lower list.

Known
1x Chalk Basslet
1x Assessor Basslet (yellow or blue)
2x Flame Scooter Blenny (m&f)

I do have a spare tank already running that either of these basslets can be moved into if needed. But I want to give it a shot

Possible
1x Possum Wrasse (yellow?) (6)
2x Banggai Cardinal (6)
3x PJ Cardinal (7)
1x Barred Spiny Basslet (6)
1x Yellowfin Flasher Wrasse (6) Paracheilinus flavianalis
1x Multicolour Lubbock’s Fairy Wrasse (5) Cirrhilabrus lubbocki
1x McCosker’s Flasher Wrasse (8) Paracheilinus mccoskeri
1x Ruby Longfin Fairy Wrasse (8) Cirrhilabrus rubriventralis
1x Naoko’s Fairy Wrasse (8) Cirrhilabrus naokoae

Here I understand that I will only be able to have a Ruby Longfin or a Naoko's due to them coming from the same subspecies of fairy wrasse. Which one I get will likely end up as which one the lfs can get in as I like them equally.

Lower
1x Starry Algae Blenny (7)
1x Blue Stripe Pipefish (4)
1x Golden Dwarf Moray (2)
1x Snowflake Moray (2)
1x Jawfish (yellowhead?) (9)
1x Longnose Hawkfish (6)
4x Blackfin Dartfish (6)
4x Barnacle Blenny (4)
1x Greenbanded Goby (5)
4x Blue Gudgeon (6)
1x Blue Cheek Goby (4)
2x Purple Firefish (6)
1x Silver Belly Wrasse (5) Halichoeres leucoxanthus (1" sand)
1x Peacock Leopard Wrasse (5) Macropharyngodon bipartitus (1" sand)
1x Red-Lined Wrasse (5) Halichoeres biocellatus (1" sand)

Here I know the wrasses will need a deeper sand than what I already have. However, I can always deepen areas as well for them.

I don't know whether the eels are actually likely, due to wanting these smaller fish that they might see as snacks. Also whether the width of the tank would stop them, even with their noodle soft curling up. Anyone have any experience on what sort of "size" fish these eels have the chance of eating?

CUC
3x Cleaner Shrimp
2x Pods
5x Nass snails
2x Spiny Astrea snail
2x Conch
2x Tuxedo Urchin (?)
4x Trochus snails
5x Nerite snails

Here the tuxedo urchin has a (?) due to how I am debating doing macroalgae in the display and I know that these would eat it.

With my tank size I understand that I cannot have any fish larger than 6".

To help with the numbers in the bracket, treat it like a 1 — lowest chance of having, 10 — guarantee of having. For instance clownfish would be a 0 due to how I don't want them no matter what.

The jawfish is a 9, a very high rating, but not moving up because I have a yellowhead/pearly jawfish in my other tank. And as much as I love the little idiot, I don't know if I want two of the same fish in there.

Please feel free to suggest fish, or reasons for fish to change categories, as nothing is set in stone. I am struggling to also work out what sort of numbers I could do for this tank, as it is not like the little nano I was originally planning. For instance, I think that Tomini Tangs are small enough for this tank, but I am not sure whether the width/depth of this tank would be fair for them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, whether that is on the stocking or otherwise. As well as maybe anyone who has any idea on the order of adding livestock to the tank?

Thanks

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: