• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jhemdal1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this forum is new, I thought I might post some fish bios as I have the time....just to jump start things a bit.

Horseshoe leatherjacket, Meuschenia hippocrepis
Max. size: 50 cm TL
Environment: demersal; marine; depth range 1- 20 m
Climate: temperate
Distribution: Eastern Indian Ocean: Australia (southern Western Australia to Victoria and Tasmania).
Biology: Occurs on offshore reefs. The black horse-shoe marking along flanks is diagnostic for this species.
Habitat: Kelp forests, rocky reefs
Range: South Australia
An interesting filefish from Southern Australia, this species of filefish is heavy bodied, almost triggerfish-like. Juveniles do not seem too aggressive; in fact, they seem rather shy at first. As they grow and become accustomed to captivity, they become territorial and may begin to attack more peaceful fish in the aquarium. This aggressive tendency may be short-lived, with the leatherjacket returning to its prior peaceful nature after a day or so. Watch for this fish to develop a dark patch on its face that seems to correlate with an increase in aggression. This species does well if kept between 62 and 70 degrees, it is unknown what their upper temperature limit is.

Attachments

• The horseshoe leatherjacket is a colorful filefish from the temperate waters of Australia.jpg
    The horseshoe leatherjacket is a colorful filefish from the temperate waters of Australia.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 1,015
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice Jay!

mysteryfish_119.jpg

What other fish do you have this housed with? Invertebrates?

jhemdal1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt,

We kept it in a mixed Australian exhibit, no inverts. Blue devil, white-barred boxfish, Shaw's cowfish, Roughy, stuff like that.

Jay

vanderscooopie

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody know how long the horseshoe leatherjacket lives for? Or how it reproduces or its predators? This would be of great help, thankyou! :D

jhemdal1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry on all accounts - I don't really have any solid personal data other than what I had first posted. I can speculate that under ideal captive conditions, this species ought to live for 15+ years (but ours died unexpectedly during a strange disease outbreak where a number of fish died in the tank over a year or so, with no definable symptoms, and nothing showing up in necropsy). They are egg-layers and the larvae have a protracted pelagic stage. The New England Aquarium has raised some Queen Triggers, but I can't recall if anyone has raised filefish (other than the harlequin filefish by Matt Pederson). This species needs to be kept at cooler temperatures.

Jay

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: