Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Photo Gallery Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 04:37 PM
kimbaco6
Reefer Ratings: (3 (100%)
Friends: (0)
kimbaco6 is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Question Can I mix different types of Gobies?

I have a 29 gallon, and I love gobies.

I read that they don't get along with each other in the same tank (or a small tank like mine).

Does that go for just the same type or can I mix different types? Like getting a clown goby and a watchman goby?
1 emerald crab
1 conch
3 red footed algae snails
2 ora black ice clown fish
1 clown goby
Old 08-03-2010, 04:58 PM
rickb
Reefer Ratings: (7 (100%)
Friends: (2)
rickb is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
I think you'd be ok. the clown chills up on the rocks and the watchman under them, so they might not really run into eachother.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:27 PM
kimbaco6
Reefer Ratings: (3 (100%)
Friends: (0)
kimbaco6 is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Ok. I have lots of live rock with many little nooks.

I was a bit worried about reading that the watchman likes to mess with the rock formation when he burrows. My rock is pretty heavy but would be a shame to get it all settled with live coral, etc and then have it collapse...
1 emerald crab
1 conch
3 red footed algae snails
2 ora black ice clown fish
1 clown goby
Old 08-03-2010, 06:26 PM
tentacles
cephalopod enthusiast
Swap Crew:  - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (15 (94%)
Friends: (20)
tentacles is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Yes you can. Like rickb said, the clown usually perches on the rocks while the watchman is usually on the bottom in a cave. I've kept the two together successfully. You'd have to use more caution if you were going to add say an engineer goby with the watchman, since they both prefer the sandbed, but you should be absolutely fine with a watchman and a clown goby.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:38 PM
DREUTZ
Reefs R Madness!
Reefer Ratings: (5 (100%)
Friends: (6)
DREUTZ is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
I had luck with adding 2 bottom dwelling shrimp gobies. I had a Yasha and a high fin red banded goby and for a while they we on opposite sides of my tank (29 gallon BC). One day they were practically sharing a burrow together within inches of eachother hanging out and stayed like that for a while. Yasha has died since they became buddies, but I don't think the other goby had anything to do with it.